Department News and Updates! December 2, 2016
NEWS AND EVENT
- RSVP HOLIDAY GALA: See Kelly
- Brandon & Emily Nguyen welcomed Raylan to their family on Thanksgiving day! Congratulations!
- Alison Van Eenennaam featured in BuzzFeed story on genetically modified foods
- At the recent CA ARPAS Continuing Education Conference held at Harris Ranch, Kelly Mitchell received the Dr. Alexander J. Kutches Memorial Scholarship and Ashley Niesen received the CA ARPAS Memorial Fund Scholarship (both M.S. students with Heidi Rossow); undergrads David Myers, Alexa Johnson & Hannah Van Duzer awarded CA ARPAS/LAGE Scholarships (mentored by Heidi Rossow & Ed DePeters)
- David Bunn published “Poultry Skills for Improving Rural Livelihoods: A Manual for Teaching Poultry Skills to Primary and Secondary Students” by USAID
- Jim Fadel & Ermias Kebreab co-authors of “Thermodynamic Driving Force of Hydrogen on Rumen Microbial Metabolism: A Theoretical Investigation” in PLoS ONE
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Ermias Kebreab was appointed to Committee on Anthropogenic Methane Emissions in the United States by The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
- Jim Oltjen, Dan Sehnert, Anna Denicol, Alison Van Eenennaam, Don Harper, Marisa Fisher attended California Cattlemen's meeting
- Frank Mitloehner's Air Resources Board seminar online
- Jim Oltjen in Kuwait next week for a project entitled: "Feed production utilizing greenery and agricultural residues: Evaluation of feeds for livestock in a pilot scale operation"
- Alison Van Eenennaam has been busy presenting: "Animal Biotechnology: What is, what could be and will it be?" as part of the Marian Koshland Seminar Series at UC Berkeley and "Genomics 101 and potential uses of gene editing in the California's Beef Industry" as in-service training on genetic evaluation in beef cattle, UCCE, at California Cattlemen's Association and "Update on Rustici-funded EBA sequencing project and genome editing for BRD -resistant cattle" at Cattle Health Meeting, California Cattlemen's Annual Meeting and "Effective Communication about Agriculture: What works and what does not" Alliance for the Future of Agriculture in Nebraska (A-FAN) meeting in Lincoln, NE
- Huaijun Zhou was invited to give a talk about USAID Feed the Future Program for Genomics to Improve Poultry at Faculty of Veterinary Science -The University of Sydney
Photo Album - December 2, 2016