Yu Bang Lee
Yu Bang Lee, Ph.D.
Y.B. Lee retired in September 2008 after 27 years as an Animal Science professor. Y.B. worked on muscle growth and meat quality, and taught a meat science course with a lab as well as a meat processing and marketing course.
B.S., Animal Science, Seoul National University, Korea, 1964.
M.S., Meat Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1969.
Ph.D., Biochemistry and Muscle Biology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1972.
Muscle growth and meat quality
- To study the effects of genetic variants and growth promotants (beta-agonists, growth hormone) on animal growth performance, muscle growth and meat quality.
- To study the muscle growth and muscle fiber characteristics in transgenic animals.
Postmortem biochemistry and meat quality
- To study the effects of postmortem treatments (temperature, pH, proteolytic enzymes, antioxidants) on meat tenderness and quality.
- Meat quality of forage-fed beef.
- Development of convenient and palatable products from beef carcass and cuts of marginal quality.
- Lee, Y.B. and C.R Ashmore. 1984. Effect of early postmortem temperature on beef tenderness. Journal of Animal Science. 60:1588-1596.
- Yu, L.P. and Y.B. Lee. 1986. Effects of postmortem pH and temperature on bovine muscle structure and meat tenderness. Journal of Food Science 51:774-780.
- Lee, Y.B. 1986. Early postmortem measurements and conditioning in assessing and enhancing meat quality. Journal of Animal Science 63:622-632.
- Kim. Y.S., Y.B. Lee and R.H. Dalrymple. 1987. Effect of the repartitioning agent cimaterol on growth, carcass and skeletal muscle characteristics in lambs. Journal of Animal Science 65:1392.
- Ashmore, C.R., L. Hitchcock and Y.B. Lee. 1988. Passive stretch of adult chicken muscle produces a myopathy remarkably similar to hereditary muscular distrophy. Experimental Neurology 100:341.
- Kim, Y.S., Y.B. Lee, W.N. Garrett and R.H. Dalrymple. 1989. Effects of cimaterol on nitrogen retention and energy utilization in lambs. Journal of Animal Science 67:674.
- Lee, Y.B. and Y.S. Kim. 1994. Muscle characteristics and meat tenderness of cimaterol-fed lambs. J. Food Sci. 59(l):33-37.
- Lee, Y.B., L. Hitchcock and P.J. Summers. 1994. Effects of the beta-adrenergic agonist cimaterol on chicken muscle atrophy induced by stretchrelease. Growth, Development & Aging 58:13-19.
- Sharma, A., Y.B. Lee, J.D. Murray, A.M. Oberbauer. 1996. Skeletal muscle growth of oMTla-oGH transgenic mice. Growth, Development, and Aging. 60:31-41.
- Department Faculty Listing