Cooperative Extension Specialist: Dairy Nutrition and Management, Department of Animal Science
- B.Sc, University of Manitoba (Winnipeg, Canada) 1970-1974.
- M.Sc., University of Guelph (Guelph, Canada) 1974-1976.
- Ph.D., Cornell University (Ithaca, NY) 1979-1983.
- Laboratory methods to predict energy values of feeds.
- Silage quality - factors influencing production of high quality silages.
- On-farm animal management systems.
- On-farm implementation of practical strategies to reduce the environmental impact of dairy farming systems.
- Evaluation of methods to quantify on-farm animal performance changes.
- Use of electronic communication to increase producer/scientist interaction.
- On-farm use of animal metabolic models to systemize known biological concepts.
- Protein and amino acid nutrition of dairy cows.
- Evaluation of methods to assess forage quality.
- Management strategies to reduce the environmental impact of dairy cows.
- Animal metabolic models as tools to understand animal biology.
October 2016 Projects
- The PCDairy Windows Project
- Chemical Composition of California Feedstuffs: New samples of: saltgrass (2)
- The SHIELD Project
I am looking for students interested in researching challenges in dairy nutritional management with immediate practical application, that concurrently increase understanding of the biology of the system under study, in order to increase predictability of responses of dairy cows to nutritional management systems.
Current Graduate Students
- Tamar Cohen-Davidyan
- Hanna Gauthier
- Yuki Okatsu
- Noe Gomez
- Jill Havlin
- Grace Cun
- Stacy Tsang
- Matt Singer
- Jesse Warntjes
- Sergio Burgos
- Shannon Juarez
- Nadia Swanepoel
- Henco Leicester
- Rainer Rauch
- Marta Santos
- Filipa Sacadura
- Leonel Avendano
- Pablo Chilibroste
- Vasileios Bampidis
- Girma Getachew
Calendar of Upcoming Travel
May 2-3, 2018
- California Animal Nutrition Conference
- Fresno (CA)
June 24-27, 2018
- ADSA Annual Meetings
- Knoxville (TN)