Animal Science Main Office
2251 Meyer Hall
One Shields Ave
Davis, CA 95616
(Prospective Student Tours)
1202 Meyer Hall
1249 Meyer Hall
1257 Meyer Hall
Carmen Jane Booth attended UC, Davis as an undergraduate from Fall of 1984 until June 1987, and then the School of Veterinary Medicine from Sept 1987 until June 1992.
Her journey began at March Air Force Base in Riverside California where she was born. Her father was in the Air Force. While he was stationed overseas and for a year after he was killed in Vietnam, her mother, sister and she lived on my grandparents’ dairy farm in Brawley, California. It was at the farm where she developed an interest in the herd health of cattle. Later they moved to Orange County. By the time she reached sixth grade, her mind was made up that she wanted to become a veterinarian. She attended High School in Orange County. Around the same time She developed a love for pet rats and in the 1980's joined a new pet rodent club, the American Fancy Rat & Mouse Association (AFRMA)...
- CONGRATULATIONS to Emma Martinez selected as the staff advisor recipient of the 2017 Eleanor and Harry Walker Academic Advising Award which recognizes outstanding contributions to Academic Advising in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences!!
- The Sacramento Valley FARMS Program (Farming, Agriculture, and Resource Management for Sustainability) visited the Animal Science Department Thursday March 16th. 20 students took place in activities at the Dairy, Hatchery, Meat Lab and Horse Barn. Ed DePeters concluded the day with a talk about the ANS major
- Richard Blatchford gave a talk on the housing and welfare of laying hens behind the meaning of egg carton labels to the School of Vet Med's Behavior Medicine and Welfare Club's continuing education welfare series
- March 10th & 11th students and staff from the Sheep Barn, Swine Center and Goat Barn attended the Porterville Collegiate Livestock Show
- Kim Miller & Trish Berger awarded an American Jersey Cattle Association award for their “Reduced testicular estrogens in Jersey bull calves: hormonal responses to a potential stimulant of Sertoli cell proliferation” proposal
- Richard Zinn a co-author of “Delay implant strategy in calf-fed Holstein steers: growth performance and carcass characteristics” In J Applied Animal Research AND “Influence of zeolite (clinoptilolite) supplementation on characteristics of digestion and ruminal fermentation of steers fed a steam-flaked corn-based finishing diet” in Animal Production Science
- Huaijun Zhou’s collaborative team awarded a University of Sydney – University of California, Davis Priority Partnership Collaboration Awards Program for their “Tackling food insecurity in Tanzania: Harnessing genomics and vaccinology to control ND in African chickens”
- Russ Hovey and his team awarded a University of Sydney – University of California, Davis Priority Partnership Collaboration Awards Program for their proposal on modifying milk composition, reducing water, and identifying efficient cows in robot milking
- Dietmar Kueltz’s work on identifying the genetics underlying salt-tolerance in tilapia highlighted in UC Davis news and published in PNAS
Welcome to the Department of Animal Science
As you will see as you explore our website, our program is vibrant, diverse, and comprehensive with our research and teaching programs covering from the molecule to the ecosystem as it pertains to animals.
Monday March 13, 2017
Yuanina Bogliotti gave a talk about "Transcriptional and Epigenetic Remodeling During Bovine Preimplantation Development" during the Noon Seminar on Monday, Mar 13, 2017 from 12:10 pm to 1:00 pm, in Weir Room, 2154 Meyer Hall. Yuanina Bogliotti is a graduate student in theAnimal Biology Graduate Group at UCD Department of Animal Science, USA. Exit Seminar.
Monday Feb 27, 2017
Phil Cardoso gave a talk about "Effects of Amino Acid Feeding on Reproduction of Dairy Cattle" during the Noon Seminar on Monday, Feb 27, 2017 from 12:10 pm to 1:00 pm, in Weir Room, 2154 Meyer Hall. Phil Cardoso is an Assistant Professor at Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, USA.