How to Get an Internship

Internships can be identified in a variety of ways:

  1. Contacting faculty members or graduate students conducting research in an area in which you are interested. Most faculty will have websites providing information regarding their research.
  2. Visiting the Internship and Career Center (ICC) in 111 South Hall.
  3. Finding internships at facilities not affiliated with UC Davis.
  4. Participating Formal Animal Science Internships at the various animal science facilities. Click here [PDF] for a description of each of the facility internships and contact information.
  5. Reading the Animal Science Advising Center's weekly Newsletter for unique internship opportunities and ways to apply.

if you would like to receive units for an internship, you will need to fill out an internship form (see links below). If the internship is not already affiliated with a faculty sponsor, you will need to find one. Most students start by asking their faculty advisers if they'd be willing to sponsor their internship. The structure of the internship (research or animal experience) and the number of cumulative units you have will determine whether the internship is a 92, 99, 192, or 199. Submit an online internship form to receive a CRN to add the class.

If you wish to have the internship noted on your transcript, you must fill out the Transcript Notation form through the ICC.

Animal Science Department Internships

ALL Internship forms MUST be filled out on the Online Internship System!

We are NO LONGER ACCEPTING PAPER FORMS. If you would like to receive internship units, you must fill out and submit your forms ONLINE. You can access the Online Internship System here, or follow the link on our ASAC Home Page.

Online Internship System

When you access the Online Internship System, all the instructions will be accessible on the homepage. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when filling out your form:

  • You must fill out a form for every quarter you wish to receive units.
  • There is a General Internship Application, and a Formal Internship Application. Click here [PDF]  for a list of Formal Internships offered at the Animal Science facilities. See the list below to determine which internship course you should be signing up for.
  • The Field Supervisor is whomever will be directly supervising you during your internship (i.e., a facility manager, graduate student, veterinarian or technician, employee at an off campus facility, etc.) If your internship is on-campus at one of the Animal Science facilities, it will be the Facility Manager. If you are filling out a form for a Formal Internship, select the type of formal internship, and the field supervisor and faculty sponsor should already populate. If you are filling out a general internship form, then you will select the facility manager from a drop down menu. If your field supervisor is not listed, select "Other" and fill out the information you know.
  • You MUST meet with the field supervisor or facility manager PRIOR to filling out the internship form. They give you permission to participate in the internship.
  • The Faculty Sponsor is a professor, within the Animal Science Department, who is willing to be the Instructor for your course. They will determine whether or not you pass the internship, and determine any assignments you will need to complete.
  • You MUST meet with a faculty member and ask them if they would be willing to sponsor your internship PRIOR to filling out the internship form.
  • You will be asked to fill in the total number of units you wish to receive for your internship. For every 30 hours you work in your internship per quarter, or for every 3 hours you work per week in a 10 week quarter, you can receive 1 unit of credit.
  • To find your GPA or the total number of units you have taken, you can look on your Student Records, which can be accessed through MyUCDavis, or on an Unofficial Transcript, which can be accessed through SISWEB. For transfer students, this is NOT just the units you've taken at UC Davis, you must include your total units.
  • If you run into any errors or have further questions about filling out an internship form, please don't hesitate to contact the Animal Science Advising Center via email at, or by phone at 530-754-7915.
  • When you have filled out your internship form and submitted it, it will automatically be sent to the Animal Science Advising Center, your Field Supervisor, Faculty Sponsor, and the Master Adviser for approval. The CRN and a PDF copy of your completed internship form will be emailed directly to you after the form has been approved.

Which internship course is right for you?

  • 92/192: Variable Unit Internship. On and off campus internships working with dairy, livestock, aquaculture, companion, or other animals; or in a business, industry or agency associated with these or other animal enterprises.
  • 99/199: Special study/research for Undergraduates/Advanced Undergraduates.
  • 90C/190C: Research Group Conference. Weekly conference on research problems, progress and techniques in the animal sciences with an instructor. Paired internship with 99 or 199. This internship is only worth 1 unit.
  • 194: Graded research in Animal Science. The student will work with a faculty mentor and choose to study in areas of Animal Behavior, Animal Genetics, Animal Nutrition, and Animal Biology. This internship is only worth 3 units.
  • 194H A, B, C: Undergraduate Honors Thesis. Students that meet the requirements and are selected by the Honors Selection Committee, under the guidance of a faculty advisor will carry out a research project. Upon completion, the student will write a thesis and present their research at a public seminar. This internship is NOT on the Online Internship System. Please contact for a paper application.
  • 197T: Tutoring in Animal Science. Tutoring of students in lower division animal science courses; weekly conference with instructors in charge of courses; written critiques of teaching procedures.

Interning at the UC Davis Dairy

Are you considering interning at the UC Davis Dairy? If so, here is some more in depth information about the different internships and duties that you could participate in while interning at the dairy.

1) Dairy calf management: 6 hours/week feeding and caring for young calves, 9-10:30 am and 4-5:30 pm every day of the week.  Interns do 4 shifts each week.

2) Dairy cow management: 6 hours/week working with mature cows in reproduction, health and animal handling,  9am – noon every day of the week.  Interns do 2 shifts each week.

3) Heifer/dry cow herdsperson: 1.25 hours/day in am.  Feed, heat detect, move, observe heifers and dry cows for well being, assist with calvings.  Interns do 5 shifts each week.

4) Repro & ultrasound internship:  Monday AM and Wednesday afternoon.  Help with pregnancy blood tests, ultrasound for sex determination, and synchronization protocols

5) Other advanced internships are possible after discussion with the manager.

Other Animal Related Internships

Interested in exotics or wildlife? Check out our Exotics Flyer [PDF] to learn more about internship opportunities near Davis and abroad!

Useful Campus Resources

Internship and Career Center:

Want to learn more about careers in animal science?

Check out our Careers page.