Huaijun Zhou, Ph.D.
|Phone: +1 530-574-6723
FAX: +1 530-752-0175
B.S., Animal Science, Yangzhou University,1988.
M.S., Animal Breeding and Genetics, Yangzhou University 1991.
M.S., Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Iowa State University, 2003.
Ph.D., Immunogenetics and Molecular Genetics Iowa State University 2002.
Honors and Awards
- 2016 - Evonik Degussa Award for Achievement in Poultry Science
- 2014 - Chancellor’s Fellow
- 2013 - The American Association of Immunologists Early Career Faculty Travel Award
- 2011 - PSA Early Achievement Award for Research
- 2010 - Hy-Line International Research Award
- 2009 - Big 12 Faculty Fellowship
- 2009 - Outstanding Overseas Young Investigator Award, NSF China
- 2004 - Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Fellowship
- 2002 - Research Excellence Award, Iowa State University
For a detailed description of my research projects click here
Research in immunogenetics, molecular genetics, functional genomics, and bioinformatics. My group is focused on elucidating the molecular and cellular mechanisms of host-pathogen interaction including disease resistance, immune response, and pathogenesis of infection. The overall goals are to understand genetic regulation of host response and basic mechanisms of pathogen virulence in animals, to identify host and pathogen genes that are involved in the host-pathogen interplay. The pathogens of interest include avian influenza virus, Newcastle disease virus, Salmonella and Campylobacter.
Another area of my research is to functionally annotate regulatory elements of livestock species by integrating RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, DNA methylation and DNase-seq to identify conserved regulatory elements across different tissues and differenct species.