Animal Science Advising Center
General Education and How It Works
The General Education system was updated from GE2 to GE3 in 2011 to alleviate concerns that students were not getting enough breadth knowledge and experience outside of their major-required coursework. GE3 keeps the topical breadth portion but now adds in a section for core literacies, i.e. scientific literacy and civic & cultural literacy. In addition, the new GEs are not defined by how many classes you take but how many units you have taken.
Please Note: ALL students are now held under GE3 requirements, regardless of the year they began college.
- General description of new GE3 [PDF]
- Informational Slideshow about the new GE3 [PDF]
- Examples for New GE Handout (ANS, ANM, and AEE)
- Recommended GEs for ANS Majors This is a compiled list of some GEs that fellow Animal Science students have recommended. Please Note: We do not guarantee that these courses will be easy! [PDF]
- Office of the University Registrar's Class Search Tool. With the Class Search tool, you may refine your search for GE courses by selecting the boxes for the specific New GEs you need to satisfy.
- You can log on to Schedule Builder (Formerly SISWEB) to build schedules for your pass times. With Schedule Builder you may also refine your class searches by selecting the specific GEs you need, and save courses to help plan and create potential schedules for each quarter.
If you are still confused about GEs, don't hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help you!