Assistant Specialist - Moody Lab
Agricultural and Environmental Sciences - ANIMAL SCIENCE
Open date: December 8th, 2020
Next review date: Wednesday, Dec 23, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Tuesday, Jun 8, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Dr. Carly Moody in the Department of Animal Science at the University of California, Davis is currently seeking an Assistant Specialist (80% time) from February 1, 2021 – August 31st, 2021 (with potential for extension).
The Assistant Specialist will be expected to take a leadership role in an animal welfare epidemiology research program. The research conducted will be focused on cat welfare science using applied ethology and epidemiology research methods. The incumbent will conduct research examining the efficacy of video telemedicine for providing virtual health and behavior care for cats. This research will involve hands-on experimental work as well as survey research. General responsibilities include organizing, coordinating, and conducting experiments (setting up experiment trials, video record experimental trials), coordinating with cat owners and veterinary staff, oversee and lead student helpers, data collection and management (organizing and cataloging video files, coding videos, organizing and cleaning data), data analyses, and write up. The Assistant Specialist will have the opportunity to publish manuscripts, and present the results in lab meetings and/or scientific conferences.
The ideal candidate has strong interpersonal skills, has formal training conducting applied animal behavior research, a strong research background with published papers as evidence, and the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in applied ethology, animal biology, epidemiology, or related field
- Show a strong leadership ability
- Ability to lead and mentor student researchers
- Ability to keep up with organization and coordination necessary for conducting an on-going research project
- Knowledge and skills working with Microsoft suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Some statistical knowledge and experience using a statistical program such as SAS or R.
- Interest and experience working with cats
- Interest and/or experience in animal welfare science
- Survey research methods experience (not required)
- Experience coding behavior (ex. using Noldus Observer software) using video recordings (an asset but not required)
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
POSITION AVAILABLE/CLOSING DATE: The start date for this appointment is February 2021. The posting will remain open until December 23, 2020.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: 80% time until August 31st, 2021 (with potential to extend)
TO APPLY: To apply, please go to the following link:
Applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Documents/materials must be submitted as PDF files. Applicants should also provide contact information for two references or two letters of recommendation. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law.
QUESTIONS: Please direct any questions to Dr. Carly Moody (email@example.com)
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/dod4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathfree.ucdavis.edu/.)
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter (Optional)
- Statement of Research (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested. (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
Need help? Contact the hiring department.
The University of California, Davis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. You have the right to an equal employment opportunity.
For more information about your rights, see the EEO is the Law Supplement
The University of California, Davis is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities.
See our Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act Annual Security Reports