Professor and Air Quality Extension Specialist
- M.S., Agricultural Engineering and Animal Science (Diplom Agrar Ingenieur, Dipl. agr. ing.), University of Leipzig, Germany, 1996.
- Grad studies, Animal Science, University of Goettingen, Germany.
- Ph.D., Animal Science, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX, 2000.
Previous research was conducted in the areas of air quality (dust emission and microbial sampling in feedlot cattle and pigs), environmental physiology (heat stress in cattle and pigs), and ethology.
Current research activities are in two main areas:
- Air quality research related to livestock production, especially quantification of ammonia, dust, and odor emissions in dairies, beef feedlots, and poultry operations. Main objective is to help establishing environmentally benign livestock systems.
- Environmental physiology research, focusing on effects of air emissions on animal health and