The faculty and students of the Department of Animal Science study issues related to animal welfare. We develop and evaluate practical improvements in animal care. We investigate these issues for food animals, those used in medical research, and captive zoo animals. By understanding an animal’s behavior, physiology, and general health, we can assess animal welfare. Our holistic approach provides insight into how animals perceive their world and allows us to evaluate a range of housing and management decisions.
Associated Programs & Centers
- Center for Animal Welfare
- International Animal Welfare Training Institute
- UC Davis Veterinary Medic Teaching and Research Center
- UC Sierra Foothill Research and Extension Center
- California Aquaculture
- Animal Behavior and Cognition Lab