NEWS AND EVENT
- Welcome Crystal Yang, New Assistant Professor in ANS!!
- Bernie May & his former PhD student Alex Van Dam were honored when the College Art Association selected “A Red Like No Other: How Cochineal Colored the World” as the 2016 recipient of the J. Alfred H. Barr Award for a publication by smaller museums, libraries and collections—Bernie and Alex had a chapter in the book
- Juan Medrano’s work on sequencing the Arabica coffee genome highlighted in campus news release!
- UCD Animal Science Horse Barn Packing recognized with a custom made pack saddle and a luncheon for their win of the Intercollegiate Packing contest at Bishop Mule Days; winning team members were Erika Falk and Katie Ott, Madison Seeley, & Kayla Wigney
- Bernie May and his former student Kat Tomalty were co-authors on the paper “Determinants of multiple paternity in a fluctuating population of ground squirrels” in Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology
- Ermias Kebreab awarded “Feed Formulation Variability and Environmental Impact Analysis” funded by funded by California Dairy Research Foundation
- Elizabeth Maga & Deanne Meyer awarded "Microbial biodiversity of commercial dairy manure streams and bulk milk," from California Dairy Research Foundation
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Dave Gall, Alison Van Eenennaam, Don Harper attended California Grain and Feed Association annual meeting
- Alison Van Eenennaam spoke on “GMO Labeling and the Impact on the Feed Industry Update” at the 2017 Grain & Feed Industry Conference, in Monterey, CA and presented “Do Kingdoms Matter? Regulation of Animal Breeding Technologies”, at the XXV Plant and Animal Genome Conference, San Diego
- Frank Mitloehner spoke at the SVM Winter Conference at UC Davis to a crowd of cattlemen, traveled to the Banff Pork Seminar and presented a plenary talk on "Sustainable Intensification", and then was the sole presenter at a one day Sustainability Summit organized by VitaPlus, one of the largest nutrition companies, held in Madison, WI.