NEWS AND EVENT
- Action Jackson 1987-2017: laid to rest today after a chronic bout of laminitis—a legendary mammoth jack siring sired multiple world champion performance mules and race mules and inducted into the American Donkey and Mule Society’s Versatility of Hall of Fame. He will be missed by so many in the mule world.
- SmartFarm selected as a campus Big Idea! Look for an opportunity to share your thoughts on possibilities of incorporating technology into animal production
- Juan Medrano work on using genetic markers to develop cattle adapted to mountainous terrain to improve grazing distribution highlighted on campus website and on Cap Radio
- New grandparents in the department:Mary Delany & Bernie May welcome grandson Otto Richard Behrens, born December 18, 2016 at 8 lbs 13 oz.Norma Andrews welcomed grandson Kai Davis Andrews, born December 8, 2016 at 9 lbs 8 oz
- Richard Zinn co-author on “Influence of methionine supplementation of growing diets enriched with lysine on feedlot performance and characteristics of digestion in Holstein steer calves” in Asian-Australasian J of Anim Sci.
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Alison Van Eenennaam spoke on “GMOs: 101” to the Sunrise Rotary Club in Davis and “The Synergistic use of Molecular Markers, Biotechnology, Genomic Selection, and Advanced Reproductive Technologies in Livestock Breeding Programs” to the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Farm Club Winter Conference in Davis. Alison also posted three blogposts that generated a lot of interest.