UCD Ranked #1 for 2018 Best Global University
for Plant and Animal Science
NEWS & EVENTS
- AGB students, Ashley Niesen, Yuki Okatsu, Maia Laabs, Hannah Gautier and Morgan Wukadinovich received scholarships from the American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists.
- The fifth annual Donkey Welfare Symposium is being held on November 3rd through November 5th, hosted by Animal Science in conjunction with the International Animal Welfare Training Institute at UCD School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Holland Dougherty lead a tour of the beef, sheep and horse barns for a local Daisy Scout troop. The troop had lots of their questions answered by staff and residents and had fun learning about livestock.
- Leslie Oberholtzer won Best Costume at the staff Halloween potluck!
- Jennifer Van Os and Cassandra Tucker published "Motivation of naïve feedlot cattle to obtain grain and individual responses to novelty" in Applied Animal Behaviour Science.
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Frank Mitloehner presented a keynote talk at the XVIII Congreso Bienal AMENA in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, on greenhouse gases from livestock production. He also hosted a 40 member group from Rinder Allianz (Germany) and gave a presentation on Livestock Sustainability at the UC Davis Feedlot and met with the CA Secretary of Agriculture, Karen Ross, to discuss the recent short lived climate pollutant plan for the state.
- Alison Van Eenennaam attended a screening of Food Evolution and gave two lectures at Iowa State University in Ames, IA on “Scientific Communication about Agriculture” and presented on “Beef Cattle Genomics and Genetic Improvement” at the University of Arizona Genomics, Herd Health and Range Cow Efficiency Workshop held at the Santa Rita Ranch in Tucson, AZ.
- Perot Saelao (Zhou Lab) and Karen Tracy (Zhou Lab) traveled to Nanjing, China to attend the International Academic Conference for Graduate Students at Nanjing Agricultural University. Perot and Karen were awarded 2nd and 1st place honors for their presentations at the conference respectively.