NEWS & EVENTS
- Thank you to all who participated in the Aggie Classic Sale! Special thanks to Kyle Wood, Rachel Conway, Aaron Prinz, Dan Sehnert, Allen Pettey, Ron Alves (Alumnus), Laura Waters and Jackson Sawyer (Goat Facility residents).
- Caleb Sehnert was quoted in the Modesto Bee for an article on recent meat delivery issues. www.modbee.com/news/article198167479.html
- The UCD SVM Beef Symposium held a “hands-on” education and training session at Cole Facility Arena. Cattle and equipment were provided by the department for a cattle handling demo by UCD alum Dr. Lynn Locatelli.
- The Animal Science Advising Center hosted its 4th annual career symposium. Recruiters from such organizations as Foster Farms, Guide Dogs for the Blind, and the California Department of Food & Agriculture attended. The event was planned and executed by peer advisor Cheyenne Chen with support of staff and other peer advisors.
- A study by Matthias Hess and colleagues entitled "Candidatus Paraporphyromonas polyenzymogenes encodes multi-modular cellulases linked to the Type IX secretion system" was accepted for publication in Microbiome. The work describes a novel multi-cellular cellulase system they identified in an uncutlured rumen microbe via metaproteomics.
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Ermias Kebreab participated and presented at a Livestock Innovation Lab/Gates Foundation Project kick-off meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- High school students from the Stockton area visited the department as part of the Center For Land Based Learning’s F.A.R.M.S. Program. Students had hands-on experiences at the Dairy, Hatchery and Horse Barn and heard talks by Ed DePeters and Dan Sehnert.
- More than 200 4-H and FFA students and their parents attended a beef, sheep, goat and pig fitting and showing clinic at the Cole Facility sponsored by Purina and Higbys’ Feed.