NEWS & EVENTS
- Congratulations to Jim Oltjen on becoming the editor in chief of Translational Animal Science for a three year term beginning July 1, 2018.
- Kim Miller received a NIH trainee travel award to present an abstract at the 43rd Annual American Society of Andrology Conference in Oregon.
- Jim Murray, Jim Oltjen, Don Harper, Dan Sehnert and Sarah Klopatek attended the California Cattlemen’s Association 40th Annual Steak and Eggs Legislative Breakfast at The Sutter Club, across from the State Capitol.
- Pablo Ross was quoted in Western Livestock Journal about his work on isolating stem cells in cows.
- Pi Day contest winner Josie Trott recited 63 numbers to the right of the decimal and Allen Pettey was 2nd place with 54 numbers!
- Hao Cheng published “Genomic Prediction from Multiple-Trait Bayesian Regression Methods Using Mixture Priors” in Genetics.
- Jennifer Van Os, Erin Mintline and Cassandra Tucker published “Domestic cattle (Bos taurus taurus) are motivated to obtain forage and demonstrate contrafreeloading” in PLoS One.
- Fred Conte and Abbas Ahmadi published "Mermaid: A shellfish sanitation model that provides additional metrics for the classification of shellfish growing areas of Virginia (USA), managed by the Direct Rule Method" in Applied Engineering in Agriculture [Link].
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Mike Mienaltowski and Monica Pechanec (PhD student) attended the Orthopaedic Research Society 2018 Meeting in New Orleans to present on “Adding Exogenous Biglycan Improves Tendon Formation for Equine Peritenon and Tendon Proper Cells”.
- Aaron Prinz and Rachel Conway attended the California Collegiate Livestock Show in Porterville with ANS undergrad students; Craig Miramontes placed 3rd, Laura Waters placed 4th, Alia Ames placed 5th and Sara Baker placed 6th in Intermediate Showmanship. Jackson Sawyer placed 3rd in Senior Showmanship and exhibited the 1st place Registered Yearling doe, who took Grand Champion Doe. UC Davis had 1st & 2nd place Registered Fall does and won Reserve Champion Doe.
- Andrea Schreier and Amanda Finger presented their research on longfin smelt and spontaneous autopolyploidy at the Interagency Ecological Program Workshop in Folsom and students Ensieh Habibi, Ann Holms, and Shannon Joslin presented posters on their dissertation research.
- Alison Van Eenennaam presented “The Landscape of Gene Editing in Food and Agriculture” at the Center for Food Integrity (CFI) Gene Editing Summit in Arlington, VA; “Communicating Science in a Networked World” at the American Feed Industry Association meeting in Fort Worth, TX; and “Dairy – where biology meets social science” at the 2018 Professional Dairy Producers Business Conference in Madison, WI.
- Yanhong Liu gave an invited talk on “Protective effects of nutrients or non-nutrients on oxidative stress of weaned pigs” at the 2018 ASAS-ADSA Midwest meeting in Omaha, NE and presentations were given by graduate students, Kwangwook Kim, Cynthia Jinno, and Nicole Doan.