NEWS & EVENTS
- The department hosted the annual convention of the California Association of Meat Processors. Over 150 independent processors attended meetings held in Meyer, Cole A and the Meat Lab as well as competed in the State Cured Meat Championships. ANS Students Orlando Ochoa and Chyanne Hughes were awarded Champion and Reserve Grand Champion in the Collegiate Division for their flavored bacons. The Meat Lab won Reserve Grand Champion in the Innovative Fresh Sausage Division for its Merguez Sausage. Congratulations!
- Caleb Sehnert was featured in an article about the Meat Lab in The Daily Democrat [link].
- Matthias Hess and colleagues published “Transitory microbial habitat in the hyperarid Atacama Desert” in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Alyssa Benjamin, İsmail K. Sağlam and Amanda Finger published “Use of single nucleotide polymorphisms identifies backcrossing and species misidentifications among three San Francisco estuary osmerids” in Conservation Genetics.
- Matthias Hess and colleagues published “Candidatus Paraporphyromonas polyenzymogenes” encodes multi-modular cellulases linked to the Type IX secretion system” in Microbiome.
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Ermias Kebreab chaired a Technical Advisory Group on Feed Additives at the Food and Agriculture Organization in Rome, Italy.
- Francine Bradley taught a Poultry Health Inspector Refresher Course in Fresno, judged 82 poultry showmen at the Great California Society of Poultry Fanciers' Show, ran the 4-H Avian Bowl State Qualifier, taught a Game Fowl Health Assurance Class in American Canyon, and Chaired the Student Program at the Pacific Egg & Poultry Association (PePa) Convention at the Silverado Resort in Napa.
- Jim Murray and Dan Sehnert visited Richard Zinn at the Dessert Research and Extension Center and met with Dr. Víctor Vizcarra, Dean of the Universidad Autónoma de Baja California, Mexicali campus.
- Animal Science faculty from BYU-Rexburg toured the department’s animal facilities and heard talks from Kelli Davis, Aaron Prinz and Dan Sehnert in regards to facility management, IACUC interaction and AAALAC accreditation.