NEWS & EVENTS
- Lindsey Broadus (Animal Biology Graduate Group) and Allison Pullin (Animal Behavior Graduate Group) received scholarships from the Western Poultry Scholarship and Research Foundation.
- Amy McLean was interviewed for an article on aging mules and donkeys in The Horse Magazine.
- The department hosted 7 contests for the annual CAES Ag Science Field Day with over 950 students competing. Kelli Davis, Caleb Sehnert, Sandra Weisker, Doug Gisi, Maria Patino, Aaron Prinz, Don Harper, Marissa Fisher, Rachel Conway, Kyle Wood, Allen Petty, Romeo Capell, Kristy Portillo, Quinn Neil, Kevin Belido and Dan Sehnert all participated in planning and executing the department sponsored contests along with Emma Martinez coordinating tabulations for all events.
- Essam Abdelfattah, Maja Makagon, Giuseppe Vezzoli and colleagues published "Essential oils: Effects of application rate and modality on their potential for combating Northern fowl mite infestations" in Medical and Veterinary Entomology.
- Ying Wang, Perot Saelao, Kelly Chanthavixay and Huaijun Zhou published “Physiological responses to heat stress in two genetically distinct chicken inbred lines” in Poultry Science.
- Ismail Saglam, Jason Baumsteiger, Sean O'Rourke, Michael Miller and colleagues published "Best available science still supports an ancient common origin of Devils Hole and Devils Hole pupfish" in Molecular Ecology.
- Juan Medrano and Alma Islas are co-authors of “Neuropeptidome of the hypothalamus and pituitary gland of indicine x taurine heifers: evidence of differential neuropeptide processing in the pituitary gland before and after puberty” in Journal of Protome Research.
- Kelli Davis published "Effects of immunization against Bone Morphogenetic Protein-15 and Growth Differentiation Factor-9 on ovarian function in mares” in Animal Reproduction Science.
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Juan Medrano and Alma Islas participated in the World Congress of Genetics Applied to Livestock Production in New Zealand presenting a paper on “Analysis of milk microbial profiles using 16s rRNA gene sequencing in milk somatic cells and fat”.
- Frank Mitloehner was keynote speaker at the Midwest Veterinary Conference in Ohio and at the Oregon Dairy Farmers Association Conference and served as a steering committee member at the Food and Agriculture (FAO) LEAP project meeting in Italy.
- Dr. Ying Wang (Zhou Lab) had an advanced genomic assay Hi-C training to study the three-dimensional architecture of genomes at French National Institute for Agricultural Research (INRA) in Toulouse, France.
- Ermias Kebreab presented at the Protein Vision conference in Amsterdam on use of amino acids to reduce protein levels in non-ruminants.
- Jackson Gross presented on the use of electricity to control butting shrimp in shellfish beds at the Washington Sea Grants 25th conference for Shellfish Growers in Union, WA .