NEWS & EVENTS
- Thank you to all who participated in Picnic Day 2018! Our very first department float won Best Department Entry in the Parade! A special thank you to Cassandra Tucker (Picnic Day Committee, Chair), Russ Hovey (Picnic Day Committee, Vice Chair), Chris Akins, Dan Sehnert and the Farm Crew.
- Essam Abdelfattah has been nominated for the 2017-2018 UC Davis Award for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research and recognized by a certificate from the Associate Dean of Graduate studies. Congratulations!
- Ellen Lai, an IGG Graduate Student, was awarded a Western SARE graduate award for her proposed work in developing genetic tools to reduce lameness and increase the sustainability of dairy cattle producers. Congratulations!
- Deanne Meyer was part of the UC ANR group that received the Distinguished Service Team Award at the 2018 Golden State Dairy Management Conference.
- A research project led by Maja Makagon, Richard Blatchford and Tina Horback was featured in UCDavis News [Link].
- Oberbauer Lab received a grant from the American Kennel Club/Canine Health Foundation to explore susceptibility loci underlying canine autoimmune disorders.
- Pablo Ross co-authored “Impaired Spermatogenesis, Muscle, and Erythrocyte Function in U12 Intron Splicing-Defective Zrsr1 Mutant Mice” published in Cell Reports.
- Hao Cheng was awarded a USDA-NIFA grant titled "JWAS: Julia implementation of Whole-genome Analyses Software” for developing software tools and statistical methods for genomic selection/prediction.
- Alison Van Eenennaam published a paper “The Importance of a Novel Product Risk-Based Trigger for Gene-Editing Regulation in Food Animal Species” in The CRISPR Journal which prompted an artist’s rendition for the front cover.
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Alison Van Eenennaam presented four lectures in Turkey including “Gene Editing in Agrifood: Its Promises and Prospects” to the Global Agripreneurs Summit in Istanbul, and “Prevalence and safety of milk, meat and eggs sourced from animals fed genetically engineered (GE) feed” to the Animal Nutrition Science Association and Ankara University Veterinary Faculty in Ankara.
- Kathryn Jackson attended an Advisor Trip to St. George’s Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine in Grenada, West Indies.
- Juan Medrano presented two plenary talks at the Instituto Técnico de Sonora (ITSON) in Ciudad Obregón Mexico as part of a UC Mexus collaboration and a talk to local dairy producers.
- Essam Abdelfattah presented a study at the 4th Annual UC Davis Postdoctoral Research Symposium entitled “Influence of genetic selection for feed efficiency on thermoregulatory behaviors of Japanese quail in response to heat stress”.
- Tina Horback was interviewed by a national podcast radio station, Science for the People, to chat about her pig personality research [Link].