NEWS & EVENTS
- Cheyenne Chen, ASAC Peer Advisor, received an Outstanding Senior Award for Animal Science and Savanna Fee, Beef Barn student assistant, received an Outstanding Senior Award for Animal Science and Management. Congratulations!
- The department held UC Davis Beef Field Day at Russell Ranch. Special thanks to Jim Oltjen, Don Harper, Tyler Nielsen and Chris Akins.
- Thank you to all who participated in Decision Day for Transfer Students! Special thanks to Kiara Cuevas, Jim Fadel, Maria Gutierrez, Kathryn Jackson, Katherine Livingston, Emma Martinez, Deanne Meyer, Kristy Portillo and Kevin Bellido.
- Pablo Ross published: “Embryonic POU5F1 is Required for Expanded Bovine Blastocyst Formation" in Scientific Reports.
- James Fadel, Patricia Price, Deanne Meyer and Christine Miller published “Optimizing accuracy of protocols for measuring dry matter and nutrient yield of forage crops” in Science of the Total Environment.
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Ermias Kebreab was a Plenary Speaker at the Animal Nutrition Conference of Canada in Edmonton on “Role of Livestock on Global Sustainability” and received funding from California Air Resources Board to work on “Strategies to reduce methane emissions from enteric and manure sources using additives”.
- Alison Van Eenennaam presented on “Gene Editing in Food Animals: Prospects, Policy, Press, Politics and Public Engagement” at the Poultry Breeder’s Roundtable in St Louis, MO.
- Matthias Hess gave a talk about "Microbiology Reloaded: Illuminating Microbial Dark Matter and Facilitating Biological Solutions via Systems Microbiology Approaches and Synthetic Biology" during the Symposium on Latest Developments in Applied Microbiology at the German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures in Brunswick, Germany.
- Anne Todgham was invited to the Canadian Society of Zoologist’s Annual Meeting in St. John’s, Newfoundland to present a keynote address on "Framing Climate Change Biology in an Ecologically-Relevant Context: How Much Environmental Complexity is Enough?”.