NEWS & EVENTS
- Welcome Chris Akins, ANS Event Coordinator!
- Welcome Monica Martinez, Food Chain Purchaser!
- Congratulations and gratitude to Alex Zingorenko, Romeo Capell, Melissa Jordan, Shylia Perez, & Marina Ramos for their 100 years of service to us!
- Valerie Fates, ANS major, receives the 2017 Mary Regan Meyer Prize!
- Russ Hovey receives the Western Section of American Society of Animal Science Distinguished Teaching Award. Congratulations!
- Perot Saelao & Shannon Chee (both of Zhou Lab) elected as 2017-2018 MANRRS Region 6 Graduate and Undergraduate Vice Presidents
- Savannah Miller, ANS major, awarded a National Pork Board Industry Scholarship!
- Huaijun Zhou, Juan Medrano, Josh Hull and his lab, Megan Mayo (Hull lab), Jim Murray, Elizabeth Maga, Allen Pettey, Crystal Yang, Anna Denicol, Tina Horback, & ANS Pack team highlighted in CAES Outlook
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Tina Horback, and Makagon lab members Essam Abdelfattah, Sydney Baker, & Ashley Birakos presented at the 13th North-American Regional Meeting of the International Society for Applied Ethology in Ames, IA; Richard Blatchford also attended
- Ashley Birakos awarded Best Undergraduate Student Poster Presentation at the 13th North-American Regional Meeting of the International Society for Applied Ethology in Ames, IA and she received a UCD Undergraduate Travel Award
- Alison Van Eenennaam spoke to the GeneSeek Science Advisory Counsel, Lincoln, NE on “Gene Editing in Animal Breeding” and on “Will breeders be able to use genome editing in livestock improvement programs?” and at Michigan State University “Impact and Applications of Genome Editing Technologies”
- Russ Hovey presented “Mammary development: windows of opportunity and risk” at the 5th International Conf. on Dairy Nutrition and Milk Quality in Beijing
- Frank Mitloehner was a keynote speaker at the California Animal Nutrition Conference, “Livestock’s Contributions to Climate Change: Facts and Fiction”
- Alison Van Eenennaam spoke on “Genetic and GMO trends in modern agricultural food systems” at the US Dairy Consortium Short Course, Clovis, NM and on “What is the cost of giving up on technology?” at the Zoetis Dairy Wellness Summit in Scottsdale, and on “Transferring scientific information to the general public” at the University of California Cooperative Extension Brown Bag Lunch Series on Change agents in animal protein production at UCD
- Francine Bradley attended the World's Poultry Science Association Board of Directors Meeting, presenting the 2016 Treasurer's Report and attended the European Symposium on Poultry Nutrition held in Salou, Spain
- Richard Blatchford presented “Backyard Flocks: The Welfare and Food Safety Misconception” at the Food Safety, Economics, and the Humane Food Movement workshop at Purdue University's Center for Animal Welfare Science's 3rd annual symposium.