NEWS & EVENTS
- Gary Anderson, Animal Science Professor and Chair emeritus, was spotted driving a 1948 Ford 8N tractor at a local Community Days parade!
- The department hosted the Budweiser Clydesdales at Mare Manor while they were in the area for events at the Fairfield Anheuser-Busch Brewery and Dean Dillard stopped by for a visit before the team headed off to Wyoming.
- Upcoming Events: 50th California Net Energy System Symposium, September 12 - 14, 2018, UC Davis Campus, Registration: http://cnes.ucdavis.edu/registration.html
- Pablo Ross and Hao Cheng published “Runs of homozygosity in a selected cattle population with extremely inbred bulls: Descriptive and functional analyses revealed highly variable patterns.” in Public Library of Science.
- Fred Conte and Abbas Ahmadi published “Mermaid: A New Decision Support Tool for Managing Shellfish Growing Areas” in the International Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Information Systems.
- Natalia Sachs, Angela Hampton, Kimberley Foster, Monica Pechanec, Jack Henderson, Annie King, and Michael Mienaltowski published “The effects of an alternative diet regimen with natural methionine ingredients on white striping breast myopathy in broiler chickens.” in Poultry Science.
OUTREACH & TRAVE
- Francine Bradley directed California Department of Food and Agriculture staff to locations in Los Angeles County where significant mortality was occurring in backyard chicken flocks, marking the spread of virulent Newcastle Disease out of San Bernardino County.
- Alison Van Eenennaam gave presentations on “Safety and risk communication of GM (genetically engineered) crops” at the Food Industry Research and Development Institute (FIRDI) in Taiwan; “Genome editing-enabled genetic evaluation” at the New Frontiers in Genetic Evaluation conference and Corteva Agriscience conference in Johnston, IA; and on “Mining and manipulating agricultural genes” and “Communicating science in a networked world” at the 30th International Conference of Agricultural Economists in Vancouver, Canada.