NEWS & EVENTS
- Welcome to our new Horse Barn Manager, Kelli Davis. Originally from Truckee, CA, Kelli did her ANS undergraduate work at UC Davis, worked in industry and recently completed graduate work at Colorado State University. Welcome Kelli!
- Aviva Fiske (MS student) won the “best student presentation” at the International Sturgeon Symposium in Vienna.
- Richard Blatchford was quoted in a WattAg.com blog, “Poultry welfare: Finding the hill we can defend.”
- Amy McLean co-authored “Measuring and modeling for the assessment of the genetic background behind cognitive processes in donkeys” in Elsevier. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0034528817305829
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Andrea Schreier attended the International Sturgeon Symposium in Vienna with Anne Todgham, Joel Van Eenennaam and Aviva Fiske. Andrea co-taught a workshop and co-founded an international sturgeon genetics/genomics working group during the meeting.
- Alison Van Eenennaam presented, “Understanding GMO’s—Can GMO’s be detected in Dairy Products?” to the International Whey Conference in Chicago, and attended a screening of Food Evolution at the Roxie theater in San Francisco.
- Ermias Kebreab gave an invited keynote presentation at the Food and Agriculture Organization in Rome on “Role of Livestock in Global Sustainability”.
- Richard Blatchford gave an invited talk on “Identifying Behavioral Indicators of Welfare” at USPOULTRY’s Live Production, Welfare, and Biosecurity Seminar in Nashville, TN.
- Jackson Gross and Fred Conte participated in the California Aquaculture Association Board and Aquaculture Workgroup meeting in Sacramento to discuss potential programmatic directions in Extension and other outreach efforts for aquaculture at UC Davis.
- Aaron Prinz attended the Pork Leadership Institute’s first training session in conjunction with the Fall Legislative Action Conference in Washington D.C., Sept. 11- 13.