NEWS & EVENTS
- The livestock judging team hosted the first West Coast Elite Livestock judging contest in Dixon, CA where over 120 contestants from colleges and high schools throughout California and Oregon competed. The team also competed at Chico State’s Cattle contest and team member Catharine Renner was 2nd high individual overall.
- Michaiah Leal (PhD student, Animal Biology Graduate Group) and co-authors Anne Todgham, Andrea Schreier and Joel Van Eenennaam published “Triploidy in white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanous): effects of acute stress and warm acclimation on physiological performance” in a special Aquaculture Issue in Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A.
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Allen Pettey presented a paper at the UC Davis Scholarship of Teaching and Learning conference entitled “Influence of prior animal experience and grouping strategies on student learning in an applied laboratory setting”.
- Alison Van Eenennaam spoke at the Keystone Symposium on ‘Leveraging Genomic Diversity to Promote Animal and Human Health’ in Uganda on the topic of “Public Perception of Animal Biotechnology”, and to the Ugandan Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation in Kampala on “Enabling Innovation in Agricultural Breeding Programs: Promises and Prospects”. She also attended the Genetic Prediction workshop in Kansas City, MO.
- Abbas Ahmadi, as faculty of computer science at Los Rios Community College District, was a guest speaker at the Computer Science Forum for middle school and high school students in the Elk Grove and Sacramento areas, participating in the Cyber Patriot National Youth Cyber Education Program.