NEWS & EVENTS
- Sarah Klopatek was selected as a 2019-2020 Professors for the Future fellow. Congratulations!
- Maci Mueller won Third place in The International Society for Biosafety Research (ISBR) Conference photo competition with her photo entitled “Editing”.
- Students, staff and faculty will participate in Decision Day 2019 events this weekend. Animals from the Horse Barn, Sheep Unit and Goat Facility will also be there to represent the department
- Mandi Finger and Alyssa Benjamin published “Role of freshwater floodplain-tidal slough complex in the persistence of the endangered delta smelt” in PLOS ONE.
- Josie Trott published “Plasma metabolites and lipids associate with kidney function and kidney volume in hypertensive ADPKD patients early in the disease course” in BMC Nephrology.
- Russ Hovey and Alice Mathews published “Using domperidone to induce and sustain hyperprolactinemia in late-pregnant gilts” in Domestic Animal Endocrinology.
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Kelli Davis gave a tour of the Horse Barn and explained the department’s equine teaching, research and outreach program at the 2019 UCD Entomology Reunion.
- Richard Blatchford, Maja Makagon, and Allison Pullin (Makagon lab) were invited to speak at the University of Bristol (UK) on their work with keel bone damage and sensor technology.
- Richard Blatchford was invited, as part of a select group of academics, NGO's and producers from the US and Canada, to participate in the European Layer Training Initiative, that will tour cage-free production in The Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- Alison Van Eenennaam spoke on “Genome editing approaches to augmenting livestock breeding programs” at the Journal of Experimental Biology (JEB) symposium on ‘Genome editing for comparative physiology’ in Italy; on “Gene Editing in Food Animals: Prospects and Policy” at French Academy of Agriculture, Paris and the “Gene Editing in Cattle: Recent developments and prospects” Invited Lecture, INRA (French National Institute for Agricultural Research) in France; and gave two presentations: “Risk Assessment vs. Precautionary Principle, Putting Hazard and Perception in their Proper Place for GE Organism Assessments” & “Enabling Innovation in Agricultural Breeding Programs: Promises and Prospects” at The International Society for Biosafety Research (ISBR) Conference in Spain.