NEWS & EVENTS
- Thanks to DeLaval and Modesto Dairy Solutions, a new milking parlor was installed at the UC Davis Dairy!
- Christina Rufener (Makagon Lab) published “Keel bone fractures are associated with individual mobility of laying hens in an aviary system” and co-authored “Laying hen’s mobility is impaired by keel bone fractures and does not improve with paracetamol treatment” in Applied Animal Behaviour Science.
- Amy McLean published “Selenium and Vitamin E Concentrations in a Healthy Donkey Population in Cen-tral Italy” in Journal of Equine Veterinary Science.
- Jill Hagey, Jennifer Heguy, Betsy Karle, Patricia Price, Deanne Meyer and Elizabeth Maga published “Fecal Microbial Communities in a Large Representative Cohort of California Dairy Cows” in Frontiers in Microbiology.
- Michael Miller, Sean O'Rourke and colleges published "Genome scan for selection in South American chickens reveals a region under selection associated with aggressiveness" in Livestock Science.
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Cassandra Tucker co-led dairy welfare auditor training in Tennessee in partnership with Professional Ani-mal auditor Certification Organization.
- Alycia Drwencke (Tucker Lab) was an invited graduate student speaker at the Dairy Cattle Welfare Council Symposium in Kissimmee, Florida where she presented her thesis work looking at innovative detection and abatement of heat load in dairy cattle.
- Alison Van Eenennaam presented the “Status of Genome Editing in Food Animals” at the National Coalition Food and Agricultural Research (NCFAR) Lunch and Learn Session to both Senate and House Staffers in Washington DC; participated in a seminar on “Gene editing for Polled” for the UK Nuffield Council on Bioethics fact-finding meeting; spoke in Orlando, FL at the Dairy Cattle Welfare Symposium, and present-ed on “Comparative Evaluation of the Phenotype, Genome and Animal Products Derived from Offspring of a Genome Edited, Hornless Bull and Controls” at the USDA Biotechnology Risk Assessment Project Directors’ Meeting in Washington DC.