NEWS & EVENTS
- The 8th Annual Donkey Welfare Symposium held September 13-15th, organized by Drs. Eric Davis and Amy McLean, co-hosted by Animal Science and VMTH. The Symposium brought in 228 people and speakers from 8 countries. Dr. McLean gave a talk on “Assessing pain and quality of life in mules and donkeys”.
- Sheep Day was held Saturday, October 26th at the Cole Facility with more than 60 people were in attendance. Department speakers included Anita Oberbauer, Allen Pettey, and Brad Foyil. The Western States Dorper Association and Superior Lamb were co-sponsors for the event and provided a complimentary lamb lunch.
- Amy McLean and others published “Donkey and Mule Behavior”, in Veterinary Clinics of North America: Equine Practice. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0749073919300483?via%3Dihub
- Joel Van Eenennaam, Aviva Fiske, Michaiah Leal, Chessie Cooley-Rieders, Anne Todgham, Fred Conte, and Andrea Schreier just published a paper in Aquaculture entitled "Mechanical shock during egg de-adhesion and post-ovulatory ageing contribute to spontaneous autopolyploidy in cultured white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus)." Here is a link to the paper, it is open access: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2019.734530
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Dr. Francine Bradley traveled to Peru to attend Ovum 2019 in Lima, October 9-11, (attendance of 6000). This was the conference of the Association of Latin American Poultry Producers and Scientists. She presented a talk on “ Professional Development in Poultry Science”, to students from across Peru.