NEWS & EVENTS
- Congratulations Anita Oberbauer! She received the highest award the AKC gives to a scientist. She received the 2019 Asa Mays DVM Excellence in Canine Health Research Award.
- Huaijun Zhou’s “Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Genomics to Improve Poultry” project, is featured on the front page of Agrilinks. You can find it here: https://www.agrilinks.org/post/genomics-improve-poultry-innovation-lab-works-toward-goal-healthy-productive-poultry
- Andrea DeRogartis and Linda Truong won the WPSA-USA Carpenter Essay award. The award will provide funding for them to attend the World’s Poultry Congress conference on August 16-20, 2020 which will be hosted in Paris, France.
- This Sunday - is the Annual Little ‘I’ Livestock Show! It will be held at the Cole A Facility beginning at 8:30 AM. 30+ undergrads will be showing horses, dairy and beef cattle, pigs, sheep and goats. Lunch will be served.
- Don’t Forget -to buy your ticket to the Holiday Gala, 12/6/19! See Laura to purchase one. The deadline is Monday 11/25/19.
- Pablo Ross laboratory published: “Transcript profiling of bovine embryos implicates specific transcription factors in the arch in Veterinary Science, July 24, 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31711115
- Cynthia Jinno, Elizabeth Maga, Annie King, Xiang Yang, and Yanhong Liu published ‘Enzymatically digested food waste altered fecal microbiota but not meat quality and carcass characteristics of growing-finishing pigs’ in Animals. https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/9/11/970
- Pablo Ross and Jan Roser published: “Superovulation, embryo recovery, and pregnancy rates from seasonally anovulatory donor mares treated with recombinant equine FSH (reFSH).” In Theriogenology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31711702
OUTREACH & TRAVEL
- Alison Van Eenennaam and ABG graduate student Maci Mueller attended and presented at the Association for the Advancement of Animal Breeding and Genetics (AAABG) Meeting in Armidale, NSW, Australia.
- Alison Van Eenennaam also attended the BBSRC Cross-Institute Workshop on “The Future Role of Livestock in Food Production” at the Roslin Institute in Edinburgh, Scotland; and presented at the Dairy Cattle Reproduction Council (DCRC) Annual Meeting, Pittsburg, PA.
- The UCD Livestock Judging Team competed at the North American International Livestock Exposition in Louisville, KY, on November 18. The team earned 8th high team in swine evaluation and were 5th high team in Meat Goat evaluation out of 30 teams total. They were the only team to have all five members earn a perfect score of 50 in ranking the meat goat class. Team members are Jackson Sawyer, Catharine Renner, Alia Ames, Ashley Felsch and Craig Miramontes. Coached by Allen Pettey.