NEWS & EVENTS
- Aaron Prinz, the current Swine Barn Manager, has been appointed as the new Department of Animal Science Programs and Facilities Manager. Aaron has been with us for the past 5 years as the Swine Barn Manager. After graduating from CalPoly-SLO, Aaron spent time as the Field and Calf Barn Manager at a dairy in California and as a Sow Farm Manager in Iowa. Please join me congratulating Aaron on his appointment.
- Amongst all the fires surrounding us, on the night of Friday August 21, we had our own fire when the hay in the south barn at the dairy caught fire from a faulty light fitting. Lucky for us Doug and Juan were right there when it started and were able to raise the alarm. With the assistance of Doug Gisi, Juan Hernadez and Eduardo Monteon running bobcats, and Mark Rubio with the hay squeeze, all of the hay was removed from the barn and the fire contained. Due to the quick action and hard work of Doug, Juan, Eduardo, Mark and the fire crews from campus and the city there was no damage to the barn and all of the animals are safe.
- Next Department Seminar— Monday 10/5/20 - "Application of Bioinformatics and machine learning tools to identify biomarker genes predicting pregnancy in cows" Check your email from 10/1 to see the flyer and retrieve the Zoom information.
News that happened just before the shut down:
- On March 5th, Huaijun received the Chancellor's Award for International Engagement at the International Connections Reception. He received this award for his work as the Director of USAID Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Genomics to Improve Poultry. See photo below! Congratulations, Huaijun!
- Amy Mclean was recognized as a "Faculty and Staff Ambassador for 2019-20", also at the International Connections Reception. The ambassadors are recognized for connecting UC Davis worldwide to strengthen existing partnerships and opening doors for new ones. Congratulations Amy!
- Sarah Adcock and Cassandra Tucker published "Conditioned place preference reveals ongoing pain in calves 3 weeks after disbudding" in Scientific Reports, and can be found here: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598.020-60260-7
- Systematic alteration of ATAC-seq for profiling open chromatin in cryopreserved nuclei preparations from livestock tissues.Halstead MM, Kern C, Saelao P, Chanthavixay G, Wang Y, Delany ME, Zhou H,Ross PJ. Sci Rep. 2020 Mar 23;10(1):5230. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-61678-9
- McVey, C., Hsieh, F., Manriquez, D., Pinedo, P., & Horback, K. (2020). Mind the Queue: A Case Study in Visualizing Heterogeneous Behavioral Patterns in Livestock Sensor Data Using Unsupervised Machine Learning Techniques. Front. Vet. Sci. 7: 523. doi: 10.3389/fvets.