Happy Holidays to one and all!
NEWS & EVENTS
- This is the last Newsletter for 2020. I hope you all have a relaxing break and come back in the New Year refreshed. Let's hope and pray that 2021 moves steadily back to something approaching normal. As strange as 2020 has been I want to say that I am proud of the way our Department has handled it and how you have continued to focus on how to help our students make progress. Thank you. Jim
- The 4th edition of the Ag Guide in now available with contributions from Cass Tucker (who also served as Senior Editor for the ADSA), Frank Mitloehner, Maja Makagon and Jim Murray
AWARDS & GRANTS
- Sarah Adcock, a NIFA AFRI Foundation Grant of $500K. Alleviation of Acute and Long-Term Pain Associated with Disbudding Dairy Calves
- Announcing the Graham A. E. and Betty A. Gall Faculty Research Endowment in Animal Genetics. Thank you Graham and Betty!!
- Sadie Hennig, Joey Owen, Jason Lin, Pablo Ross, Alison Van Eenennaam and Jim Murray published "Evaluation of mutation rates, mosaicism and off target mutations when injecting Cas9 mRNA or protein for genome editing of bovine embryos" in Scientific Reports.
- Cass Tucker and others published an Invited review: Lying time and the welfare of dairy cows in the Journal of Dairy Science.
- Tina Horback, Maggie Creamer, and Mariah Olson published "Identification of specific call types produced by pre-weaning gilts in response to isolation" in Applied Animal Behaviour Science. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2020.105203
- Mike Mienaltowski, Jack Henderson, Ashley Belt, Tannah Boyd, Nicole Matter, Elizabeth Maga, and Ed DePeters published "Psyllium supplementation is associated with changes in the fecal microbiota of horses" in BMC Research Notes.
- Michaiah Leal, Joel Van Eenennaam, Andrea Schreier and Anne Todgham published "Reduced growth may be linked to lower aerobic scope in juvenile triploid white sturgeon (Acipenser iransmontanus)" in Aquaculture.