NEWS AND EVENTS
- Tomorrow! Horse Day; Cole 9:30 am
- Preview Day Oct 20
- A news segment on the Bovine Respiratory Disease CAP NIFA grant (Alison Van Eenennaam & Cass Tucker co-PIs) airs on Cattlemen to Cattlemen this coming Tuesday 10/16 at 5:30 Pacific on RFD TV Channel 231 on Dish and 345 on DirecTV
- CA 4-H Dairy competitor, Tony Garcia, earned 1st place at the World Dairy Cattle Judging Contest held at the World Dairy Expo in Madison, WI; the CA 4-H Dairy Cattle Judging Team earned 7th place—the Ag Science Field Day competition at UCD with ANS cattle is their state competition and testing ground!
- Alumni BBQ had 62 alums in attendance—a huge thank you to all.
- Animal Science Gateways Project highlighted in the Fall UC Davis Arboretum Review publication
- Alison Van Eenennaam & Dr. Oz Wednesday Oct 17.
- Kim Stackhouse, Jim Oltjen & Frank Mitloehner author “Growth promoting technologies reduce the carbon footprint, ammonia emissions, and costs of California beef production systems” AND “Carbon footprint and ammonia emissions of California beef production systems” in J Anim Sci Sept 2012
- Jim Oltjen & Anders Strathe co-authors on “A methodological approach to estimate the lactation curve and net energy and protein requirements of beef cows using nonlinear mixed-effects modeling” J Anim Sci
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Frank Mitloehner speaker at the World Nutrition Forum (WNF) in Singapore on “Perspectives of the impacts of livestock production
on climate change”
- Cristiano Feltrin, a PhD student from University of Fortaleza in Brazil, is here for 6 months to conduct part of his dissertation research (they call it a PhD sandwich program) with Elizabeth Maga
- Ed DePeters co-authored “Nuts & bolts of cleaning milk parlor equipment” for Sept Western DairyBusiness publication.