NEWS AND EVENTS
- Thank you to all & everyone who made the Departmental Alumni BBQ a success.
- AAALAC Accreditation went well thanks to ALL Facility Staff for making ANS look stunning!
- Preview Day Thanks—gratitude to the following for spending a Saturday meeting & greeting prospective students: Naomi Cholst, Tom Famula, Kathryn Jackson, Lynn Martindale, Lisa Holmes, Emma Martinez, Sydney Westbrook, Kathleen Furtado, Kayla Sample & Ed DePeters
- Jill Soderstrom awarded the Kutches Scholarship by the CA/NV chapter of ARPAS & will present her research at the upcoming ARPAS meeting in Harris Ranch
- Nadia Swanepoel received the ARPAS Memorial Scholarship by the CA/NV chapter of ARPAS & will present her research at the upcoming ARPAS meeting in Harris Ranch
- Jim Oltjen quoted in Mother Jones on meat & grass fed beef
- Romina Sacchi, Johnathon Li, Fernando Villarreal, Alison M. Gardell & Dietmar Kültz author “Salinity-induced regulation 1 of the myo-inositol biosynthesis 2 pathway in tilapia gill epithelium” in J Exp Biol
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Ermias Kebreab Attended the Sustainability Council meeting in Madison WI (15-16 Oct).
- Sheep Barn provided a Vet School Admissions, Sheep Management Lecture, Sheep Unit Tour for the WHS ROP Vet Class.
- Dana Van Liew, for the third time, judged all sheep breeds at Dixon Lamb Town.
- Huaijun Zhou, Frank Mitloehner, & Alison Van Eenennaam presented “ Re-annotation of chicken genome using next generation sequencing,” “Is the rising demand for animal protein fueling climate change?” & “GMOs in animal agriculture: time to consider both the costs & benefits in regulatory evaluations?”, respectively, at the World Conference on Animal Production in Beijing
- Francine Bradley attended the World’s Poultry Science Board Meeting in Italy & presented the Treasurer’s report as well as attended the European Symposium on Egg Quality, the European Symposium of Poultry Meat Quality in Bergamo, Italy, and taught a PHI Refresher Course in Amador County
- Francine Bradley hosted an Avian Bowl Invitational on campus in preparing the State Championship team for the national competition