NEWS AND EVENTS
- Welcome Jennie Sandoval, our new Animal Biology and Avian Sciences Graduate Group Coordinator!
- Fred Conte highlighted in a Huffington post article on the dangers of biotic invasion due to dumping aquarium fish into the waterways
- ANS annual Holiday Party, Friday Dec 12, new menu item, live band, fire pit and more!
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Kristy Smith & Dan Sehnert coordinated a freshman engineering course demonstration of egg washers
- As part of their USAID Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Genomics to Improve Poultry project, three African colleagues (Dr. Boniface Kayang from University of Ghana, and James Mushi & George Makingi from Sokoine University of Agriculture, Tanzania) are at UCD for a 2-week laboratory & animal experiment training at both Animal Science and School of Veterinary Medicine under the guidance of Huaijun Zhou, David Bunn, & Rodrigo Gallardo (SVM)
- Alison Van Eenennaam gave keynote address at the American College of Toxicology in Orlando, Florida on “Food and Feed Safety of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs): The Hype and the Facts. She also presented the 29th E. T. York Distinguished Lecture at the University of Florida in Gainesville http://news.ifas.ufl.edu/2014/11/lauded-science-communicator-alison-van-eenennaam-to-give-fall-york-lecture/
- Anke Schennink, Josie Trott & Russ Hovey co-author "Comparative genomics reveals tissue-specific regulation of prolactin receptor gene expression" in Journal of Molecular Endocrinology
- Luis Moraes, Ermias Kebreab, & Jim Fadel co-authors of “Bayesian analysis of energy balance data from growing cattle using parametric and non-parametric modelling” in Animal Production Science
- Frank Mitloehner co-author of “Measurements of Size- and Time-resolved Elemental Concentrations at a California Dairy Farm” in Atmospheric Environment
- Russ Hovey & Ashley Rowson-Hodel co-authors of "Ovariectomy in young prepubertal dairy heifers causes complete suppression of mammary progesterone receptors" in Domestic Animal Endocrinology
- Ranga Appuhamy, Luis Moraes, & Ermias Kebreab co-authors of “Development of mathematical models to predict volume and nutrient composition of fresh manure from lactating Holstein cows” in Animal Production Science
- Anke Schennink, Josie Trott, Grace Berryhill, Caitlin Donovan, Rodrigo Manjarin, Monica VanKlompenberg, Ashley Rowson-Hodel, Michele Luis & Russ Hovey co-author "Alcohol intake stimulates epithelial proliferation in an authentic model of the human breast" in Reproductive Toxicology
- Kristin Reed, Luis Moraes, Jim Fadel & Ermias Kebreab co-authors of “Prediction of nitrogen use in dairy cattle: a multivariate Bayesian approach” in Animal Production Science