NEWS AND EVENTS
- Save the Date: ANS Holiday Gala DEC 7
- Preview Day Oct 20 Thanks: Cassandra Burghardt, Ed DePeters, Alejandra Figueroa, Lisa Holmes, Russ Hovey, Kathryn Jackson, Emma Martinez, Kayla Sample, Cary Trexler
- Alison van Eenennaam quoted in Yahoo! Shine and Voice of America on genetic modification http://learningenglish.voanews.com/content/scientists-dispute-study-of-genetically-modified-corn/1537101.html
- Joy Mench quoted in the Sac Bee on chicken caging regulations
- Josh Hull quoted in the New York Times on innovative means to track gray owls in Yosemite National Park.
- Welcome Dana Welch to the Department as the departmental events coordinator.
- Desert Research & Extension Center celebrated its centennial: http://ucanr.org/sites/desertresearch/?story=903
- Order Smoked Turkeys at the Meat Lab—very popular so order soon
- Elizabeth Maga received Grand Challenges Explorations Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Grant “Preventing diarrhea with lysozyme-rich milk”
- Caitlin Cooper, Elizabeth Maga & Jim Murray coauthor “Consumption of transgenic cows’ milk containing human lactoferrin results in beneficial changes in the gastrointestinal tract and systemic health of young pigs” in Transgenic Research Oct 2012
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Ermias Kebreab was invited to discuss on ‘Building resilience of C, N and water footprint in the dairy industry’ at the American Societies of Agronomy & Soil Science annual meeting, Cincinnati, OH
- Eight Aggies attended a Livestock Selection Work Shop hosted by the Animal Science Department at Fresno Stateand attended by 11 colleges from CA, AZ, ID, & OR. Jaylene Scott was high individual in beef cattle and third overall in the senior division & the 2013 Aggie Junior Team earned high team beef honors in the junior division.
- Juan Medrano was the key note speaker at a Medical Congress in Guatemala City. Presenting the opening talk “Your Health, Your Genes and Personalized Medicine”, and two additional talks on “Pharmacogenomics & Personalized Medicine” and “New Sequencing Technologies Applied to Medical Diagnostics”.
- The UCD Meat Lab was invited participant in a Northern California Farm to Fork event in Sacramento hosted by Sac Mayor Kevin Johnson
- Ermias Kebreab has been traveling in So America; he gave invited presentations on ‘Environmental Sustainability of Animal Agriculture’ at the University de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay & an invited presentation on ‘Global Change and Sustainable Agriculture – Californian Perspective’ at the Catholic University of Santiago, Santiago, Chile
- University Retirement Center tours Horse Barn & Dairy