NEWS AND EVENTS
- HOLIDAY GALA TONIGHT—see below for fabulous raffle prizes!
- Mary Delany elected as fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science for contributions to poultry genetics & genomics, administrative leadership in the agricultural sciences, service in science policy, and conservation of avian research resources
- Welcome: Amy Young, Alison Van Eenennaam’s lab manager
- Please review the Food Chain cluster staffing over the last two weeks of December & early January!
- Joel Van E. co-authored “Empirical evidence of fall spawning by Atlantic sturgeon in the James River, Virginia”. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc.141: 1465-1471, 2012
- Jason Abernathy & Huaijun Zhou co-authored Impacts of Salmonella enteritidis Infection on Liver Transcriptome in Broilers” in Genesis, 2012, 00:1-8.
- Alex Van Dam & Bernie May author “A new species of Dactylopius Costa (Dactylopius gracilipilus sp. nov.) (Hemiptera: Coccoidea: Dactylopiidae) from the Chihuahuan Desert, Texas, U.S.A.” published in Zootaxa
- Logan Smith, Janelle Belanger, & Anita Oberbauer author “Fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 effects on proliferation and telomerase activity in sheep growth plate chondrocytes” in J An Sci Biotech
- Ying Wang & Huaijun Zhou authored “Associations of chicken Mx1 polymorphism with antiviral responses in avian influenza virus infected embryos and broilers.” In Poultry Science 2012, 91:3019-24.
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Kaley Ladner & Michelle Cruz ANS students attended the Western All Breeds Show, sponsored by the California Pork Producers Association, at the Reno Convention Center. They attended a Pork Quality Assurance certification seminar & showcased two pigs from the ANS Swine Facility in breeding and prospect pig classes, competing with other breeders and Universities from CA & NV
- Ermias Kebreab presented invited talks: ‘Mitigation options to reduce greenhouse gas emissions – with emphasis on livestock production in South East Asia’ at the 15th Asian-Australasian Animal Science Congress in Bangkok, Thailand AND ‘Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from Vietnamese Agriculture – challenges and opportunities’ to Institute of Agricultural Science, Ho Chi Minch City, Vietnam.
- Jerry Johnson presented at the UCD Davis UC Davis Internship & Career Center & Vet Aide Club Careers with Animals Seminar
- Alison Van Eenennaam spoke on utilizing advancing technologies to improve herd reproductive efficiencies, profitability and the end product — beef at the 2012 Applied Reproductive Strategies in Beef Cattle conference in Sioux Falls, S.D www.appliedreprostrategies.com/2012/SiouxFalls/newsroom.html).
- Cass Tucker hosted in Chile by the Chilean Dairy Consortium gave talks at: XVII Chilean Congress of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences of Universidad Austral de Chile, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences of Universidad de Concepcion, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences of Universidad de Chile, & BioLeche