NEWS AND EVENTS
- The Farming, Agriculture and Resource Management for Sustainability (FARMS) Leadership Program associated with the California Center for Land-Based Learning visited the department. Thanks to Dan Sehnert for organizing. Presenters were Doug Gisi, Caleb Sehnert, Kristy Smith, Joel Viloria, Dan Sehnert, & Ed DePeters. Students were involved with hands-on activities at the Dairy, Meat Lab, & Horse Barn
- Welcome! Anthony “Tony” Miller has joined the purchasing group of our Food-Chain Administrative Cluster!
- Mandi Finger and Bernie May received funding from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife for “Owens TUI Chub Genetic Study”
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Bob Sainz, joined by three students Angela Thresher (IAD MS), Casey Dykier (ABG MS), & Ollavo Tinoco, Univ. of Sao Paulo undergraduate exchange scholar) to the Snyder Livestock bull auction in Yerington, NV. Bob presented a seminar on "Feed efficiency: phenotypes and EPDs"
- Alison Van Eenennaam spoke at the UC Davis Agribusiness Workshop on food labeling
- Bob Sainz participates on a panel for the Advisory Committee on Agriculture Innovation and Productivity, chaired by former US Senator Tom Daschle held in Washington DC; the panel focuses on how China, Brazil, India, & Sub-Saharan Africa address food & nutrition security challenges in the face of rapid urbanization