NEWS AND EVENTS
- AG SCIENCE FIELD DAY TODAY & TOMORROW; ANS hosts 7! Competitions. Come check them out
- The UCD Avian Sciences Club Scrapbook won the Pacific Egg & Poultry Association annual competition. Congratulations to Scrapbook Chair & Club President, Tracey Rice.
- Joy Mench and Richard Blatchford publish a chapter, “Birds as laboratory animals,” in the book Laboratory Animal Welfare, American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, Elsevier.
- Chris Howerton and Joy Mench publish “Running around the clock: competition, aggression and temporal partitioning of running wheel use in male mice” in Animal Behaviour.
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Francine Bradley chaired the Student Program for the Annual PePa Convention, Kaanapali, Hawaii & coordinated judging of student competitions (Oregon State University, Cal State Fresno, Modesto JC, CPSLO, & UC Davis). She spoke at 2 of the convention functions.
- Jim Oltjen participated in the Southern San Joaquin Livestock Symposium in Tulare
- Joy Mench gave invited seminar on poultry welfare at Oklahoma State University
- ANS Undergrads Maaike Clapham, Jaclyn Alexandria Cubillas, Emily Shifflett, & Caitlin Horne partici-pated in the Western Regional Dairy Challenge contest held at College of the Sequoias, Tulare and to assess all aspects of Rio Blanco dairy, Tulare. They participated in aggregate teams with students from schools across the western US & Canada. Maaike Clapham and Emily Shifflett were on 2 of the 3 top-placed teams.
- Frank Mitloehner’s lab & other ANS dept members (14 total) participated in the Southern San Joaquin Livestock Symposium, visited Calftech (50,000 head calf ranch), Harris Ranch feedlot, Harris Beef Co. packing plant, & Maddox Dairy.