NEWS AND EVENTS
- Gaby Pedroza (ANS) won second place for public speaking in the National Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Related Sciences (MANRRS) Contest. Other students represented UC Davis well. Thanks to Annie King for mentoring the students!
- UCD Health System commercial briefly features horse barn www.youtube.com/user/UCDavisHealth
- DECISION DAY, WICKSON LAWN, TOMORROW 4/5! 11 am. Help the students decide on UCD.
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Juan Medrano traveling in Ecuador
- Jim Murray will be presenting on “Bridging the Gap between Science and Politics” in the Third Session of the World Congress for Freedom of Scientific Research, Rome, Italy
- Frank Mitloehner presented at the National Institute of Animal Agriculture (NIAA) annual conference in Omaha, NE, on "How will dairy and beef production deal with the precautionary principle regarding environmental quality?"
- Anne Todgham was invited to speak at a lunch for Ocean Day 2014 on "Expect the unexpected: Why taking a multistressor approach is essential for predicting the impacts of global climate change on plants and animals" held in Sacramento
- Outreach talks by Alison Van Eenennaam: “GMO: Why It’s Safe For You and Animals and How to Talk to Consumers About It”, Internet seminar for Southeast United Dairy Industry Association, Inc.; “Safety and supply of milk, meat and eggs from livestock that have consumed GMO feed”, 16th Annual Dairy Ingredients Symposium, Shell Beach, CA; “Biotech 101: Scientific Facts About Genetic Engineering”, Biotech University, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ; “Who is behind the curtain? Communicating science in an illusory world” Pests, Germs, and Seeds conference, UC Davis, CA
- Alison Van Eenennaam & Amy Young attended the National eXtension conference in Sacramento, CA
- Trish Berger, co-investigator on newly funded NIH RO1 grant.
- Andrea Schreier received funding from the Kootenai Tribe of Idaho to study spontaneous polyploidy in the progeny produced at the Kootenai white sturgeon hatchery
- Mariah Meek, Molly Stephens, Kat Tomalty, Bernie May, and Melinda Baerwald authored “Genetic Considerations for Sourcing Steelhead Reintroductions: Investigating Possibilities for the San Joaquin River” in San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Science
- Veronica Arteaga, SRA in Mitloehner lab, been awarded a one year overseas (Mexico) Fulbright
- Yeunshin Lee received a UCD Professional Development Award for travel to the International Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology
- Joy Mench serving on the National Research Council Committee on Considerations for the Future of Animal Science Research
- Wes Weathers named as one of the Top Referees in 2013 for the Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences
- Joshua Hull co-author of “A description of a new subspecies of Great Gray Owl in the Sierra Nevada of California” in Journal of Raptor Research
- Saumya Wickramasinghe & Juan Medrano coauthors of “Predicting the important enzyme players in human breast milk digestion” in J Agric Food Chem