NEWS AND EVENTS
- Nadia Swanepoel awarded the California Animal Nutrition Conference’s top award (CANC Scholarship); Other UCD ANS awards: 1st Place Poster: Qian Wang, 2nd Place Poster: Grace Cun & 3rd Place Poster: Sara Place—-full UCD ANS sweep!
- Qian Wang received Alltech Global Young Scientist award announced at the AllTech convention in KY—her winning science paper was selected from 8,000 students competing worldwide
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Alison Van Eenennaam was an invited speaker on “How might DNA-based information generate value in the beef cattle sector?” at the International Committee for Animal Recording (ICAR) meeting in Cork, Ireland.
- Jim Murray quoted in the New York Times article “An Entrepreneur Bankrolls a Genetically Engineered Salmon”
- Peter Robinson, Nadia Swanepoel, Quian Wang, Grace Cun, Jill Soderstrom, Juan Antonio Rendón Huerta, Ciça Lemes (visiting scholars from Dr. Kebreab's lab), Jim Oltjen, Richard Zinn & Sara Place attended/presented at the California Animal Nutrition Conference in Fresno
- Huaijun Zhou co-authors “Leukocyte transcriptome from chickens infected with avian pathogenic Escherichia coli identifies pathways associated with resistance” in Results in Immunology 2012, 2:44-53
- Jan Roser co-authors “Reproductive characteristics of stallions during the breeding and non-breeding season in a tropical region.” Trop Anim Health Prod. 2012 Apr 1.
- Joy Mench co-authors “Bioethics Symposium: The ethical food movement: What does it mean for the role of science and scientists in current debates about animal agriculture?” J Anim Sci. 2012 May 90:1570-82.