NEWS AND EVENTS
- ANS Gateways featured at http://publicgarden.ucdavis.edu/campus-planning-community-resources/animal-science-gateway-garden-update
- Matthew Warren ANS undergrad participated in Undergraduate Research, Scholarship & Creative Activities Conference with work on birds & immunology under mentorship of Kirk Klasing; Matthew was featured at www.ucdavis.edu/ucdavis-today/2013/april/25-undergraduate-research.html
- Previous ANS undergrad, Michelle Sanborn, is publicity chair of School of Vet Med FARM club. See ANS facebook page for latest merchandise www.facebook.com/UCDavis.ANS
- Alison Van Eenennaam quoted in “Will genetically engineered food feed a hungry world” in the May 1 issue of BEEF
- May 11 Field Trip to Sierra Foothill Research & Extension Center. Lunch included. RSVP to Dan Sehnert by 5/8!
- Action Jackson sired mules finished 1st, 2nd, & 4th at the Red Bluff Round Up race.
- Gina Alvino, Cass Tucker, Greg Archer & Joy Mench author “Astroturf as a dustbathing substrate for laying hens” in Applied Behaviour Science
- Kristan Reed & Ermias Kebreab received funding from Ajinomoto Heartland Inc. for work on ‘Modeling nitrogen utilization in dairy cattle’
- Jason Abernathy & Huaijun Zhou coauthors on “Deletions in the pyruvate pathway of Salmonella Typhimurium alter SPI1-mediated gene expression and infectivity” in J Anim Sci Biotech
- Susie Huang, Anders Strathe, Jim Fadel & Silas Hung coauthor “The interactive effects of seleno-methionine and methylmercury on their absorption, disposition, and elimination in juvenile white sturgeon” in Aquatic Toxicology
- Johnson ML, Lin P, Liu TY, Hung SS.
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Frank Mitloehner spoke on “"Impacts of food production on natural resources and environment" at the prestigious Council of Science Society Presidents meeting in Washington DC.
- Department of Animal Science highlighted in the Davis Enterprise www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/neighborhood-comes-together-for-99th-annual-picnic-day/ Thanks to ALL who made ANS shine again!
- Frank Mitloehner appointed to National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine’s commission on 'Food for Healthy People and Food for a Healthy Planet'
- Jan Carlson toured visitors to the goat facility
- Doug Gisi presented to Plant Science 150 course on nitrogen balance at the dairy
- Dan Sehnert toured Luanne Lawrence, UC Davis’s Associate Chancellor for Strategic Communications, & Ann Filmer, CAES Director of Communications, through the ANS animal facilities
- Alison Van Eenennaam featured in American Association of University Women Davis panel that discussed science careers in STEM fields www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/panel-discusses-stem-careers-for-girls/
- Fabulous Picnic Day photos can be seen at www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.598415130171647.1073741828.166241396722358&type=1