NEWS AND EVENTS
- ANS Spring Awards BBQ, Putah Creek Lodge, June 4th, 5:30 pm See you there!
- The UCD Animal Science video entry “Gene Shop” is now live on YouTube! at www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQ8MPDFV64 Votes to win the American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) Video competition will be counted as "LIKES" on the video on YouTube. You must be logged into YouTube for your “LIKE” vote to be counted. Vote NOW!
- Richard Blatchford, Carine Elkhoraibi, YeunShin Lee, Joy Mench, & Giuseppe Vezzoli hosted informational booth on Tour De Cluck.
- Thomas Bellumori, Tom Famula, Janelle Belanger & Anita Oberbauer’s work featured on the front-page of UC Davis website: http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=10613
- Sean Swift joins FoodChain as Nutrition’s Academic Personnel Assistant. His appointment starts June 3rd. Welcome!
- Action Jackson’s first mule son (first mule born & bred in modern UCD ANS era), Action’s Graduate, inducted into the Mule Hall of Fame
- Javier Linares-Casenave, Joel Van Eenennaam, Serge Doroshov author “Temperature stress induces notochord abnormalities and heat shock proteins expression in larval green sturgeon (Acipenser medirostris Ayres 1854)” in Journal of Applied Ichthyology
- Mike Miller coauthor of “Genotyping-by-sequencing in ecological and conservation genomics” in Mol Ecology
- James Chitwood, Gonzalo Rincon, German Kaiser (visiting scientist) Juan Medrano, & Pablo Ross author “RNA-seq analysis of single bovine blastocysts” in BMC Genomics 14:350
- Ermias Kebreab coauthors “Calcium and phosphorus utilization in growing sheep supplemented with dicalcium phosphate” in J Agric Sci
- Melinda Baerwald & Bernie May funded by CA Interagency Ecological Program for “Characterizing the predation threat of Mississippi silversides to larval native fishes”
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- UC Davis ANS & Horse Barn represented brilliantly by Jessica Ash, Libby Faughnan, Lizzy Whipple, Zoe Crowder, Vila Mantzouranis, Annie Roach, Joel Viloria, Dan Sehnert, Megan Dodd, Erica Noddings-Zinola, Zoe Crowder, Kelli Davis www.muledays.org/news_article.php?UCDavis
- UCD Action’s Protégé shown by ANS undergrad Shayna Allison, earned stellar placements in racing, English Pleasure, Trail, Halter, Reining, Pleasure Driving, Keyhole, Barrels, Pole Bending & Gambler’s Choice; Young Mules & UCD College Team (Megan Dodd, Erica Noddings-Zinola, Zoe Crowder, Kelli Davis) excel—way to go!
- Joy Mench gives invited talk (via web) on “Laying hen housing tradeoffs: Findings from the Coalition for a Sustainable Egg Supply’s research project two years in” at the 18th Annual Forum of the Australian Egg Corporation Limited, held in Brisbane.
- Alison Van Eenennaam, ASAS Public Policy Committee, reports on Mandatory labeling of GE food http://takingstock.asas.org/?p=8056