NEWS AND EVENTS
- COMMENCEMENT June 16: photos, speeches, family—See you there!
- The UCD Animal Science video entry “Gene Shop” is now live on YouTube! at www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQ8MPDFV64Votes to win the American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) Video competition will be counted as "LIKES" on the video on YouTube. You must be logged into YouTube for your “LIKE” vote to be counted. Vote NOW! Up to 452 LIKES—Voting ends FRIDAY the 14th!
- Joy Mench received award from McDonald’s Corporation for her efforts in support of their commitment to improve animal health and welfare globally
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Alison Van Eenennaam, received an ACE honorable mention for a video that she wrote and directed: Were Those the Days, My Friend? ACE is the international Association for Communication Excellence in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Life and Human Sciences
- Huaijun Zhou was invited to give a seminar at the DOE Joint Genome Institute
- Joy Mench in Bangkok as an instructor for humane slaughter training
- Ernie Change co-PI on funded NSF proposal entitled: "Signaling Mechanisms in the Crustacean Molting Gland"
- Huaijun Zhou, Dietmar Kueltz & Andreas Baumler co-PIs on UCD Committee on Research grant entitled “Genetic resistance to Salmonella colonization and persistence in the chicken, a systems biology approach”
- Francine Bradley received new Contract from CDFA for my Game Fowl Health Assurance, Poultry Health Inspection, and 4-H Poultry work
- Ranga Appuhamy & Ermias Kebreab coauthor “A mathe-matical model for determining age-specific diabetes incidence and prevalence using body mass index” in Ann Epidemiol.
- Lisa Lit, Janelle Belanger, & Anita Oberbauer coauthor “Characterization of a dopamine transporter poly-morphism and behavior in Belgian Malinois” in BMC Genetics
- Ermias Kebreab coauthor of “Technical options for the mitigation of direct methane and nitrous oxide emissions from livestock: a review” in Animal, 7:s2, 220–234.
- James Chitwood, Gonzalo Rincon, Juan Medrano, & Pablo Ross coauthor “RNA-seq analysis of single bovine blastocysts” in BMC Genomics