NEWS AND EVENTS
- Grad Commencement Thursday June 12; Undergrad Commencement Friday June 13.
- Fox News highlights Meats Lab Friday at 5:30 newscast
- Frank Mitloehner receives the 2014 ASUCD Excellence in Education Award for CA&ES.
- Sac Bee article highlights ANS Meats Lab & cattle www.sacbee.com/2014/06/01/6445443/campus-grown-produceis-the-pride.html
- Alison Van Eenennaam’ s work on DNA and beef sires highlighted in Am Soc of Anim Sci “Taking Stock” publication http://takingstock.asas.org/?p=12236
- Luis Moraes, Andre Strathe, Jim Fadel, & Ermias Kebreab coauthor “Prediction of enteric methane emissions from cattle. ” in Global Change Biology
- Alison Van Eenennaam, Kristina Weber, & Dan Drake author “Evaluation of bull prolificacy on commercial beef cattle ranches using DNA paternity analysis” in J Anim Sci
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- UCD Actions Protégé shown by Shayna Allison took 1st in Donkey English Pleasure and 1st in Donkey Barrels. Interscholastic Packing Team (Lizzy Whipple, Torrey Minor, Maddy Seely, & Erica Falk) won Reserve World Champion Interscholastic Pack Team against 11 other school teams winning the Costume Class and the Pack Scramble.
- David Bunn gave a talk at the USAID Feed the Future Innovation Lab Directors Council Meeting in Nepal in March about Village Chicken (www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEj1e9u-d7m)
- Francine Bradley taught a Game Fowl Health Assurance Continuing Education Course in Santa Maria and another in American Canyon
- Mary Bonaparte-Saller, Jennifer Chen, Brian Greco, Giuseppe Vezzoli, & Grazyne Tresoldi attended the North American regional meeting of the International Society for Applied Ethology at Michigan State; Jennifer awarded 1st place & Brian 2nd place in the graduate student oral presentation contest. Grazyne & Jennifer helped Cass Tucker organize the ADSA Discover27 conference "Strategies for Improving US Dairy Cattle Welfare" in Itasca, IL
- Joy Mench gave presentation on laying hen welfare at McDonald’s Global Animal Welfare conference in Chicago
- Alison Van Eenennaam presents “Issues surrounding Mandatory GMO Labeling: What You Need to Know” Presented by the Council for Agricultural Science & Technology (CAST) http://marketing.foodseminarsinternational.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/963/p/p-001c/t/page/fm/0