NEWS AND EVENTS
- Frank Mitloehner named chairman of the FAO-led global partnership project assembled to assess and benchmark the environmental impacts of livestock production
- Coastwide Salmonid Genetics meeting held at UCD organized by Bernie May & Genomic Variation Lab
- Thanks to all who participated in Transfer Advising of 62 students were here over 8 days: Ed DePeters, Jim Fadel, Tom Famula, Russ Hovey, & Trish Berger (faculty), Joan Chandler & Emma Martinez (advising staff), Sarah Warren & Sydney Westbrook (peers)
- Ermias Kebreab selected as a member of the Modeling Committee of the National Animal Nutrition Program
- Monica VanKlompenberg will be receiving the Tucker Appreciation Club Award at the 2012 ASAS meeting
- Join the ASAS UCD reception at Phoenix ASAS/ADSA/AMPA/CSAS/WSASAS joint meeting following the ASAS awards ceremony. The Awards Celebration will take place at 8:00 pm at the Sheraton in Valley of the Sun, ABC. See you there!
- Alison Van Eenennaam receives Academic Federation Innovative Development Award
- Ermias Kebreab coauthor on ‘Selection of growth functions for describing length-at-age relationships in fish species displaying different life history traits: unexpected alternatives to the von Bertalanffy equation and advantages of a pluralistic statistical approach.’ CAB Reviews 7, No 038:1-14
- Elizabeth Maga, Dietmar Kueltz & Jim Murray coauthor “Consumption of lysozyme-rich milk can alter microbial fecal populations.” in Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012 Jun 29
- Anja Hansen, Anders Strathe & Ermias Kebreab & coauthor of ‘Predicting milk yield and composition in lactating sows – A Bayesian approach.’ J. Anim. Sci. 90:2285–2298.
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Dana Van Liew appointed to California 4-H State Animal Science Education Committee
- Kent Parker coordinated a Whole Foods N. California, Nevada Meat Managers Workshop. Thanks also to Dan Sehnert & Frank Mitloehner for speaking & Caleb Sehnert for demonstration.
- Anita Oberbauer representing the department met with Gentech of China
- Bill Farland, Sr Vice President for Research Colorado State toured Meats Lab.
- Ermias Kebreab invited talk entitled ‘Mitigation of phosphorus excretion in dairy cattle’ at the Alltech and University College Dublin Dairy Symposium in Dublin