NEWS AND EVENTS
- Thanks to all who participated in Freshman Orientation: Ed DePeters, Jim Fadel, Tom Famula, Russ Hovey, Trish Berger, Anita Oberbauer, Emma Martinez, Kathryn Jackson (advising staff), Sarah Warren & Sydney Westbrook (peers)
- Attendees at the Joint Annual Animal Science Dairy Science, Western ASAS JAM meetings: Grad Students & Postdocs—Ranga Appuhamy, Lindsey Hurlbert, Rachel Toaff Rosenstein, Jill Soderstrom, Grace Cun, Nadia Swanepoel, Juan Antonio Rendón Huerta, Vanessa Arias, Gabriella Acetoze, Monica Van Klompenberg, Kristen Reed, Kathy Holcomb, Michelle Calvo, Roberta Franco, Sara Place, Qian Wang, Samantha Werth, Kristina Weber; Faculty—Alison Van Eenennaam, Ermias Kebreab, Russ Hovey, Peter Robinson, Anita Oberbauer, Jim Oltjen, Cass Tucker, Roberto Sainz, Richard Zinn; Alumni & Friends—Jed Asmus, Brandi Asmus, Harvey Freetly, Randy Baldwin, Heidi Rossow, Phil Miller
- Attendees at the Poultry Science Association meetings: Francine Bradley, Joy Mench (gave invited World Poultry Science Association Lecture-ship), Ali Nazmi, Mary Delany, Greg Archer (past postdoc) WPSA lecture.
- Sergio Arispe & his wife Kelly welcomed Santiago Adrian Arispe on 7/25/12. Congratulations
- Michelle Calvo accepted Assistant Professor Position behavior/welfare in the Animal Science Dept at Oklahoma State University
- Jason Abernathy honored as a Travel Bursary & invited to give an oral presentation at International Society of Animal Genetics
- Monica Van Klompenberg earned second place in the highly competitive American Dairy Science Association Graduate Student Oral Presentation Competition
- Bernie May & Bjorn Erickson awarded grant from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation entitled “Genetic Monitoring Panel for Native Fishes in the Kern Basin”
- Ying Wang & Huaijun Zhou co-author “Integrated Analysis of microRNA Expression and mRNA Transcriptome in Lungs of Avian Influenza Virus Infected Broilers.” BMC Genomics 13:278
- Sara Place & Frank Mitloehner author “Beef production in balance: Considerations for life cycle analyses” in Meat Sci. 2012 92:179-81
- Frank Mitloehner co-author of “Occupational exposure to particulate matter and endotoxin for California dairy workers” in Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2012
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Kent Parker & Chris Calvert representing the department met with Gentech of China
- Francine Bradley presented at the WPSA/USA Branch Meeting & advised on the USA to host the World Poultry Congress in 2020.
- Alison Van Eenennaam, Kristina Weber, & Dan Drake presenting at Shasta County Cattle Tour on “DNA, Genomics & Markers for Beef Cattle” on August 23.
- Jan Carlson & Goat Barn excel at the 2012 American Dairy Goat Association National Show. Special thanks to Jolene Berg alum & Dr. Joan Rowe! UCD won all the Recorded Grade group classes & was both Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor of Recorded Grades along with many other illustrious awards.
- Huaijun Zhou, Jason Abernathy , Juan Medrano attend International Society of Animal Genetics held in Cairns, Australia