NEWS AND EVENTS
- Hay fire at Horse Barn. Thanks to UC Davis Fire Dept for quick response. Joel Viloria, Dan Sehnert, Sean Eldridge, Doug Gisi, & Caleb Sehnert were so generous in spending their Sunday helping manage the fire & aftermath. City of Davis backhoe operator was a huge help. Horse barn interns were on top of things too!
- Bernie May is stepping down as Director of the Genomic Variation Laboratory. Andrea Schreier is the new Director & Mandi Finger Associate Director. Bernie will remain as CFO
- Goats grace UCD homepage
- Remember to power down any networked systems by 6 pm tonight; take the evening off or power up when you get the all clear email from Curt
- Pablo Ross co-author on “Early Developmental and Evolutionary Origins of Gene Body DNA Methylation Patterns in Mammalian Placentas” in PLoS Genetics
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Fred Conte co-organized a 2.5-day Western Regional Aquaculture Center (WRAC) workshop on Larval Feeds and Feeding Strategies for Marine Fish held at the Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute in San Diego, where he also co-authored a video presentation with Matt Hawkyard of Oregon State University titled: Liposome Production Techniques for Delivery of Water-soluble Nutrients
- Alison Van Eenennaam is on USDA tour in Hong Kong & Taipei discussing GMOs & biotechnology
- Mandi Finger attended AFS (American fisheries society national meeting) in Portland, chaired a special symposium titled "Utilizing genetics to accomplish goals in conservation hatcheries" and presented "Consequences of Seven Years of Genetic Management in a Conservation Hatchery for Delta Smelt" as well as “Genetic uniqueness of the Paiute cutthroat trout"
- Andrea Schreier also attended AFS & gave a talk titled "The Importance of Post Release Genetic Monitoring in Conservation Aquaculture Programs "
- Anne Todgham attended the 145 Annual AFS & gave an invited presentation in a Special Session - Effects of Ocean Acidification in Wild and Cultured Marine Fauna titled "Hot and Sour Fish: Tolerance of early stages of Antarctic fishes to a changing ocean"