NEWS AND EVENTS
- HOLD THE DATE: Oct 6th, 11 am Animal Science Alumni BBQ Lunch. For more info go to: http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/events/2012AlumniBBQ/
- Thanks to Russ Hovey, Emma Martinez, & Kathryn Jackson for doing the STEP advising program!
- Silas Hung received an undergraduate instructional improvement program minigrant for ANS 136 course
- Welcome Caitlin Green, new employee starting 9/3 at Hopkins Avian facility!
- Giuseppe Vezzoli (PhD with Joy Mench) received best graduate student poster award at the Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology in Vienna, Austria. Second year in a row that the Mench/Tucker lab won this award
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Alison Van Eenennaam interviewed for KCRA’s broadcast on Calif Prop 37—mandatory labeling of genetically engineered food: www.kcra.com/news/Prop-37-would-change-labeling-of-food/-/11797728/16203924/-/12qc3uhz/-/index.html
- ANS Meat Lab is featured on UC Davis Dining Commons Facebook page www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.434093739966815.95320.126803037362555&type=1
- The Calif State FFA Officers visited the Dept’s Goat, Horse, Meat lab, Feedlot, Swine, Dairy, & Sheep Facilities on August 13th. Thanks to Jan Carlson, Joel Viloria, Caleb Sehnert, Jerry Johnson, Kent Parker, Doug Gisi, & Dana Van Liew for hosting them. Anita Oberbauer joined the officers for lunch & Dan Sehnert coordinated the facilities’ visits. The officers travel to Calif high schools & let students know about higher ed opportunities.
- Bernie May was a member of the CA Hatchery Scientific Review Panel of 11 fishery scientists and biologists that spent over 500 hours reviewing the anadromous salmonid hatcheries of CA and made recommendations for their future practices. Public rollout of the group’s report occurred on Aug. 7 at the Nimbus Hatchery. www.fws.gov/cno/press/release.cfm?rid=418
- Joy Mench co-author on “A standardized cage measurement system: a versatile tool for calculating usable cage space”. Journal of Applied Poultry Research 21:657-668
- Russ Hovey coauthor of “Lactation and neonatal nutrition: defining and refining the critical questions.” J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 2012 17(2):167-88.
- Steven Berry & Tom Famula coauthors on “Long-term observations on the dynamics of bovine digital dermatitis lesions on a California dairy after topical treatment with lincomycin HCl” in Aug issue of Vet Journal