NEWS AND EVENTS
- UCD Animal Science Goat Barn Educational Display wins overall Best Educational Display at the California State Fair! Well done team Goat!
- Cass Tucker’s work on freestalls reported on the college news blog: ucdaviscaes.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/comfortable-freestalls-enhance-dairy-cows-health/
- Chris Calvert appointed Associate Dean for Graduate Programs in the Office of Graduate Studies
- State measure SCR70 passed honoring the University of California, Davis’ great achievement in earning the number one ranking in the world for teaching and research in the areas of agriculture & forestry
- Jim Millam coauthor of “Tuberal hypothalamic expression of the glial intermediate filaments, glial fibrillary acidic protein and vimentin across the turkey hen (Meleagris gallopavo) reproductive cycle: further evidence for a role of glial structural plasticity in seasonal reproduction” in Gen & Comp Endocrinology
- Andrea Schreier, Brian Mahardja, & Bernie May author “Patterns of Population Structure Vary Across the Range of the White Sturgeon” in Trans. Am. Fish. Soc.
- Mandi Finger & Josh Hull received funding from the National Park Service for “Great grey owl feather genetics”
- Khine Khin Mon in Huaijun Zhou’s lab received the Henry A Jastro Research Award
OUTREACH AND TRAVEL
- Mike Miller taught at ConGen 2013, a bi-annual conservation genetics course held at the University of Montana's Flathead Lake Biological Station. His students Dan Prince, Omar Ali, and Hannah Lyman attended the course
- Steven Berry gave a talk at the Cow Longevity Conference held at Tumba Sweden in August "Lameness: prevention, detection, and treatment"
- Fred Conte presented on Aquaculture, Regional and National Extension Programs in Aquaculture for the University of Southern Mindanao and Philippine National Agricultural and Fisheries Council at the UCD, International Programs Conference on Collaborative Extension and Research Program
- Frank Mitloehner concluded his role as chair of the FAO steering committee for the LEAP (Livestock Environmental Assessment and Performance Partnership) project.
- Fred Conte presented “Shellfish Sanitation Models and National Bay Assessment Research” for the California Shellfish Initiative Workshop, Sponsored by the Pacific Coast Shellfish Growers Association
- The 4th EAAP International Symposium on Energy & Protein Nutrition and Metabolism conference successfully concluded. Jim Oltjen, Ermias Kebreab heavily involved in the organization of the symposium. Many thanks to Dana Welch, Romeo Capell, Abbas Ahmadi, Front office staff, Farm Crew, Meat Lab, Dan Sehnert, Advising staff, Young Cattleman’s, Goat Barn, Horse Barn, & everyone else who contributed so extensively to the events & meals! Well done!