Lecturer Emeritus, Department of Animal Science
Judging Team Coach Emeritus, Department of Animal Science
Dr. Hubert Heitman recruited Dana Van Liew to attend UC Davis in the fall of 1974. He served as a student swine herdsman for four years and was appointed graduate judging program instructor and coach 1978-1980. Dr. Eric Bradford recruited him to manage the sheep program in August of 1980, which he balanced with teaching livestock selection, management courses and coaching numerous: livestock, dairy cattle, horse and meat animal teams, 1980-2016. Dana was presented with the Alpha Gamma Rho Alumni Achievement Award in 1997, Academic Federation Excellence in Teaching Award in 2002, and the CAES Award of Distinction in 2004. He retired in 2016 and traveled extensively.
- B.S., Agricultural Education, University of California, Davis, CA, 1978.
- M.S., Agricultural Education, University of California, Davis, CA, 1980.
- Alpha Gamma Rho Alumni Achievement Award, 1997.
- Academic Federation Outstanding Lecturer Award, 2002.
- Cal Aggie Alumni Association Citation for Excellence, 2004.
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Award of Distinction, 2004.
Teaching, Outreach and Research
Teach livestock management and evaluation courses. Manage sheep teaching, outreach and research program (33 years). Sheep Research: reproduction, endocrinology, nutrition, meat science, management. Coach intercollegiate livestock judging team (35 years). Outreach and agricultural student recruitment for Animal Science Department and College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. Serve as department contact for: CATA, California 4-H Statewide Animal Science Education Advisory Committee Member, CSU and California CC Animal Science Faculty. Department Sheep Specialist serving youth and adult producers, American Sheep Industry Association’s Production, Education and Research Council Member.