Professor Emeritus, Department of Animal Science
Y.B. Lee retired in September 2008 after 27 years as an Animal Science professor. Y.B. worked on muscle growth and meat quality, and taught a meat science course with a lab as well as a meat processing and marketing course.
- B.S., Animal Science, Seoul National University, Korea, 1964.
- M.S., Meat Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1969.
- Ph.D., Biochemistry and Muscle Biology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1972.
Muscle growth and meat quality
- To study the effects of genetic variants and growth promotants (beta-agonists, growth hormone) on animal growth performance, muscle growth and meat quality.
- To study the muscle growth and muscle fiber characteristics in transgenic animals.
Postmortem biochemistry and meat quality
- To study the effects of postmortem treatments (temperature, pH, proteolytic enzymes, antioxidants) on meat tenderness and quality.
- Meat quality of forage-fed beef.
- Development of convenient and palatable products from beef carcass and cuts of marginal quality.
- Lee, Y.B. and C.R Ashmore. 1984. Effect of early postmortem temperature on beef tenderness. Journal of Animal Science. 60:1588-1596.
- Yu, L.P. and Y.B. Lee. 1986. Effects of postmortem pH and temperature on bovine muscle structure and meat tenderness. Journal of Food Science 51:774-780.
- Lee, Y.B. 1986. Early postmortem measurements and conditioning in assessing and enhancing meat quality. Journal of Animal Science 63:622-632.
- Kim. Y.S., Y.B. Lee and R.H. Dalrymple. 1987. Effect of the repartitioning agent cimaterol on growth, carcass and skeletal muscle characteristics in lambs. Journal of Animal Science 65:1392.
- Ashmore, C.R., L. Hitchcock and Y.B. Lee. 1988. Passive stretch of adult chicken muscle produces a myopathy remarkably similar to hereditary muscular distrophy. Experimental Neurology 100:341.
- Kim, Y.S., Y.B. Lee, W.N. Garrett and R.H. Dalrymple. 1989. Effects of cimaterol on nitrogen retention and energy utilization in lambs. Journal of Animal Science 67:674.
- Lee, Y.B. and Y.S. Kim. 1994. Muscle characteristics and meat tenderness of cimaterol-fed lambs. J. Food Sci. 59(l):33-37.
- Lee, Y.B., L. Hitchcock and P.J. Summers. 1994. Effects of the beta-adrenergic agonist cimaterol on chicken muscle atrophy induced by stretchrelease. Growth, Development & Aging 58:13-19.
- Sharma, A., Y.B. Lee, J.D. Murray, A.M. Oberbauer. 1996. Skeletal muscle growth of oMTla-oGH transgenic mice. Growth, Development, and Aging. 60:31-41.
- Department Faculty Listing