This program is an amazing opportunity for students to “live-In” at one of the 9 animal facilities on campus. In exchange for approximately 10 hours of work per week, you will receive free rent for one year, and potentially a second year (re-application is necessary).
The animal facilities which have either private or shared rooms available in exchange for animal care are:
- Beef Barn
- Dairy Barn
- Feed mill
- Goat Barn
- Hopkins Avian Facility
- Horse Barn
- Sheep Barn
- Swine Barn
Applications are released during Fall Quarter. If you are a current UC Davis student, and are interested in applying for any of the residency positions, please complete and submit the 2022-23 Barn Residency Program Application (PDF) no later than December 17th by 5PM.
- Email the completed application to Laura Lovgren at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop off the completed application at 2215 Meyer Hall (drop box)
Criteria For Selection
If you are interested in participating in the Barn Residency Program, please review the following criteria to determine the strength of your application:
- Must be a Currently Enrolled UC Davis Student
- Applicants Should be Enrolled in Animal-Oriented Majors*
- Applicants Must Have Appropriate Animal Experience
- Applicants Must be willing to Work Holidays, Weekends and Evenings
- Applicants Must Possess a Valid California Driver’s License
- Applicants Must be Able to Lift a Bale of Hay
*Priority will be given to currently enrolled students in the Animal Science, Animal Science and Management and Agricultural and Environmental Education Majors.