This program gives current UC Davis students the opportunity to “live-In” at one of the 9 animal facilities on campus. In exchange for approximately 10 hours of work per week, you will receive free rent for one year, and potentially a second year (re-application is necessary).
The animal facilities which have either private or shared rooms available in exchange for animal care are:
- Beef Barn
- Dairy Barn
- Feed mill
- Goat Barn
- Hopkins Avian Facility
- Horse Barn
- Sheep Barn
- Swine Barn
Applications for the 2023-2024 academic year are due by Friday, December 16, 2022 at 5:00pm (PST). To apply, send the completed application (including an unofficial transcript) via email to Kristy Portillo (email@example.com).
In addition, there is one open Barn Resident position open for Winter and Spring 2023 in the UC Davis Horse Barn. For more information about this, please contact Kelli Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Criteria For Selection
If you are interested in participating in the Barn Residency Program, please review the following criteria to determine the strength of your application:
- Must be a Currently Enrolled UC Davis Student
- Applicants Should be Enrolled in Animal-Oriented Majors*
- Applicants Must Have Appropriate Animal Experience
- Applicants Must be willing to Work Holidays, Weekends and Evenings
- Applicants Must Possess a Valid California Driver’s License
- Applicants Must be Able to Lift a Bale of Hay
*Priority will be given to currently enrolled students in the Animal Science, Animal Science and Management and Agricultural and Environmental Education Majors.